Any acrylic blanks that mimic Sheaffer/Parker striated celluloid? - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2018, 05:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Any acrylic blanks that mimic Sheaffer/Parker striated celluloid?

Hi all - I have a couple of Sheaffer Triumphs with a really lovely striated design. Unfortunately one of them I got cheap and requires a $90 repair, and the other has somehow gotten to a point where I can't de-thread the cap, and pulling just seems to want to pull the grip from the body.

I've asked in a few other places but I figure here would be good to ask as well - are there any acrylic blanks that mimic the look of old Sheaffer/Parker striation? It doesn't have to be transparent, and it doesn't have to be celluloid either. I'm just looking for that beautiful design in a turned pen.

Examples can be found at:

RichardsPens.com • Pens That Write Right!

MohnJadden is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-22-2018, 08:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 1

I've never seen any of those pens, don't get out much, ;) nor seen any blank materials resembling them either. There are some vintage materials available from time to time that are nice and would be worthy of replacing the original with. I'll see if I can post a picture of my hoarded pieces.
Attached Thumbnails
e4f8a226-93a2-4a10-b6b8-ada02ff5690f.jpg  

Last edited by Curly; 01-22-2018 at 08:12 PM.
RKB
Curly is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-22-2018, 10:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
I've never seen any of those pens, don't get out much, ;) nor seen any blank materials resembling them either. There are some vintage materials available from time to time that are nice and would be worthy of replacing the original with. I'll see if I can post a picture of my hoarded pieces.
That 5th one from the right is close to what I'm looking for. Do they still make the blank for it or is that one of those vintage ones?
Advertisement
Old 01-22-2018, 10:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

All of those are vintage and that one is only big enough for a single pen, perhaps two if combined with other material. Barrels out of it and caps from something else type of thing. I don’t remember where or when I got it so have no idea where to get more if any still exists. All of it was from the 50’s down to possibly the 30’s. That’s why it’s so difficult to find.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

I was wondering if you could tell me if the material that had clear alternating with black layers along the length of the blank, were done as layers like plywood or were they wedges radiating out from the centre of the tube something like this?

As a repair for the stripped threads have you considered turning out the threads, glueing in an Ebonite or resin (Alumilite or Epoxy) bushing/plug and then rethreading the new material?
Old 01-27-2018, 03:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
I was wondering if you could tell me if the material that had clear alternating with black layers along the length of the blank, were done as layers like plywood or were they wedges radiating out from the centre of the tube something like this?

As a repair for the stripped threads have you considered turning out the threads, glueing in an Ebonite or resin (Alumilite or Epoxy) bushing/plug and then rethreading the new material?
It was closer to clear alternating with black, something like that. Not like the plywood stripes you have linked.

Alas, I am not a turner nor do I have the tools to be one - I came to ask about the blank, and if it exists, to commission its turning.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks. I have a someday idea of replicating something close but haven't the time now.

You could try scouring Ebay for vintage materials. Try looking for Galalith, Casien, bakelite, Celluloid rods etc. Sometimes nice looking pieces come up.

You might also consult with someone like Mike and Linda as they do repairs and may have parts or materials. They will refer you if they can't help.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

This is probably not particularly helpful but I'll throw it out there anyway. A good source for replacement parts for vintage pens is Five Star Pens:

Vintage Fountain Pens Parker 51 Duofolds Waterman Mont Blanc - Five Star Pens

Bill
bmachin is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads