Antlers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fleabit

Hey all (especially Eagle):

Could you tell me if there is a certain company out there you get your antlers from or are they all selling pretty much the same sizes?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Your gonna hate me for this but I get mine for free,I usually trade back a pen if I get enough from any one source.

WoodChucker

Fleabit,check the classified forum here, rtjw had some for sale, he may have some left because the post is still open. I got some from him and it's some nice stuff.

Bob A

I never ordered from here but looks like they have pretty decent prices.
http://www.hideandfur.com/inventory/Antlers.html

I believe I got the link to them on this forum a while back.

rtjw

Fleabit, I do have some left. Just email me and I will get with you. I will not be chaecking my email til tomorrow though. I am not where I can check it. Out of town in Arkansas. Will be back tomorrow.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by gunsusn20
<br />What size of antlers are best to use?
Big enough to make the pen you want to make
What part of the antlers?
I use the whole thing, most use the part that sticks up in the air,Usually "shed" antlers are used , but occaisonally I get the whole thing with the skull attached.
Is there instructions for turning antlers posted anywhere?
Not that I have ever seen,it isn't that tough,cut ,drill, glue tubes,turn sand, polish.
You may find there are little "secrets" you develope to get the best finish, the pith can present a problem but that's why God invented CA glue.

its_virgil

I cut pieces long enough for the tubes and mount them between centers and turn until close to round, then drill. I have had no erronous drilling since I started doing this. Slightly curved pieces can be be made straight this way.

If you turn into some of the bone marrow...the pourous part...fill it with CA and continue. I try to pick the diameter of the antler for the tube size. Close to the antler base is the best enamel and I save that for the really nice kits.

Sand to 12000MM and I apply a CA finish to the antler and sand to 12000MM and buff. I suppose the CA is not needed...the antler sands and buffs to a very nice shine.

I would suggest that you wear good dust mask protection...not the 59 cent paper masks, but a real dust mask. Remember you are turning bone and bone has blood marrow and blood marrow has blood and blood will have the bacteria of any disease the deer may have had and I for one do not want to breath the dust. People complain of the smell but the smell isn't that bad, but the dust has the potential to be really bad. Better safe than sorry.

Antler makes beautiful pens. I have one customer that will only buy elk pens with lots of the reddish/purplish marrow exposed. Others want only the nice white enamel bone and another wants parts of the rought outside left on the pen.

I save the buttons and tips and trade them to a guy who makes jewelery with them and he gives me bigger pieces that he can't use.

Others give me antler and I give them a pen...one slimline for a rack that will yield 8 or ten pens seems like a good trade to me.

Good luck, turn safely and...
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom