Antler splitting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

joeyh

A customer just told me that an antler pen that she purchased started to split at one end. I inspected the pen, and found no damage that would indicate that the pen was dropped. I also know that the antler was dry , approximately 1 year or more. The area that split was in the dense outer portion of the antler, and not the porous center. I will be replacing the pen, but I'm hoping that someone can shed some light on what may have happened.
Thank you for your help.
Michael

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

knottyharry

Michael,
I'm not the expert by any means. But there are a lot of things that can happen. If the antler is too thin, if the nib and twist mechanism is not real straight when they are pressed in. Sometimes the pressure will crack them. If they get too hot while drilling a crack may develop. If the inside of the tube still has glue in it, it will cause excessive outward pressure. And wood is the same way.
Do you use CA on the pens? That will help. Just on the incase there is a hairline crack somewhere.
I'm sure others have some thoughts on it as well.
Good luck.
Harry

joeyh

Heres a little more info... The pen is a barea series 2ooo cap pen. The tubes were glued in with CA. The pen was finished with CA,polished then given a couple coats of Mylands. I was informed about the crack aproximately 4.5 monthe after the pen was finished.
Thanks again.
Michael

Gregory Huey

Mike: I have had this happen to me as well. I don't have an answer just a guess. I think that the antler expands and contracts a lot do to it's make up. I can build 20 pens and only get 1 that will crack or I can build 2 and both will crack. I had one I sold that was over a year old and split. I have went to the smallest antler possable to make the pen and this seems to help.

Daniel

one thing I can think of that could cause it to crack after that long. having the pen in a car or other hot location. this causes the brass tube to expend and cracks the material surrounding it. Poly glue has been mentioned as one safeguard against this. just a bit more flexability.
I had this happen with a bunch of Buffalo Horn. never with antler. just lucky so far I guess.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Here is a little tip I got from Bill Baumbeck for using horn, antler and other materials that have a tendency to crack from material movement or from excessive pressure when pressing the pen together... SO simple...
Instead of CA, poly or epoxy.. glue the tubes in place with clear silicone sealant... the kind you use to caulk with ... it dries overnight like poly and will not let the blanks slip while turning... and since it never dries brittle it will absorb that little bit of material movement or pressure from pressing the pen parts together...

rtjw

Old griz prolly has the best answer. The reasons are to numerous for it cracking. Just one of those things that happen. You fixing it for her shows her that your good on your word and will bring you more business in the future.

joeyh

Thank you for your input everyone. II think that Tom has the answer to this problem. The one thing that I forgot to ask my customer was about leaving the pen in the car. Anyway, a new pen is it a simple cure for a good customer!
Thanks
Michael

Daniel

A tip from my remodeling experience. get the silicon caulk. it is more expensive but will not harden. or shrink

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom