Antler should be available soon.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavePowers

If you are wanting some antler it is early in the deer hunting season so call your local meat processor and see if they have any antler or if they will call you when they get some.

Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

Meat processors can be a great source. I've gotten dozens of racks from one over the past few years. People sometimes leave their racks behind.

It also helps when your local meat processor is a close relative [;)]

Daddy1

Dave.

Wow! You are a God send. I have been trying to come up with ways to get antler and have come up with nothing. What an excellent idea. I will be calling the meat processor tomorrow. Thanks again

DavePowers

Originally posted by Daddy1
<br />Dave.

Wow! You are a God send. I have been trying to come up with ways to get antler and have come up with nothing. What an excellent idea. I will be calling the meat processor tomorrow. Thanks again

Just remember the antler will still need to dry just like fresh cut wood.

Dave

Rmartin

I know a guy who knows a guy who is a taxidermy, and he has barrels of old antler. My guy is supposed to get me some soon, I hope.

Rmartin

stoneman

Hello all. New member here that has been viewing topics for a month or so. Great forum. I have turned but one pen - penturner member jrc graciously agreed to show me the ropes in his shop. Now I am cleaning out a spare room to set up my new Jet mini lathe to get going on my own.
My interest started with a desire to learn to turn antler pens from moose antler sheds. I have a camp in northeast Vermont and have developed a bit of skill in finding antler sheds. My buddy and I have also trained two black labs to help us. I am hoping to develop the skill to make nice antler pens from some of our finds.
Here is a photo of our 2007 haul. If any members are interested, I'll upload a few more photos of our shed hunting. Let me know.
tn_EdMandySteveRiley&HornsFrom2007.jpg

I am hoping to learn to turn both bone white round pens and also to learn to do it leaving some "live edge" as I have seen in postings here. I'd love a little advice as to how to sand and finish a pen without smudging the live edge section. Any tips?

I've posted this before, but I have a source in Texas for antler.. he has Axis and other exotics.. I'm pretty sure he'll ship. I usually stop in when I pass through and pick out what I want. Terry and Carla Jones run an antique/junque store in Jewett, Texas.. Ph: 903-626 5707 email: trademart11999@sbcglobal.net or terry@tmjcreativesculptures.com.. Terry is also a metal art sculpturer.. his stuff can be seen at www.tmjcreativesculptures.com.

No affiliation with them other than as a customer.... both are very nice and easy to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom