Antler with red in it

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Stevej72

I turned this piece of deer antler down and found some red in it. I've never seen anything like it. I had nothing red around the lathe while I was turning so it has to be something that grew in there.

Maybe I am not supposed to make this pen. It is for an order and the first one somehow I made the lower barrel of the cigar pen too short so the tip of the refill sticks out when retracted. Now I'm not sure if the customer will want red in the antler.

200821132610_02%2010%2008_0262_edited-1.jpg

200821134224_02%2010%2008_0263_edited-2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jtate

How fresh was the antler? was the deer killed this year? Maybe it's from the deer's growth process. Alternatively, the 'flame' part of flame box elder is from micro-organisms that stain the wood. I would guess it's possible that the deer had some sort of similar micro-organisms.

You might find out more details from the hunter who harvested the deer.

I've run across the red in my antler a time or two.. never had any objections from customers.. As Bruce suggested, you can bleach it out with Peroxide.. You pen looks great, don't know why anyone wouldn't want it... Looks like you have it sealed very nicely so should be no danger.

Sylvanite

The colors and patterns that show up in antler are part of what makes it interesting (imho). I've had pieces with creams, browns, greens, greys, and purples. Some have spots, and other figure much like wood grain. It's all part of the antler's natural beauty.

With the red showing up in the marrow, I'd be concerned that the antler may not be fully dry. Other than that, I think color adds to antler's appeal.

Regards,
Eric

Russianwolf

No clue on the redness, but on the other problem. You accidentally swapped the upper tube for the lower I'm betting.

I have one cigar that I've glued the tranny in the retracted position and am making a desk pen out of because I did the same thing.

Chasper

I've seen the same thing in antler pens, but I have no idea what it is. The first time I found red it was with a piece of red stag antler. I told people it was there because it was red stag antler and it sold quickly. The next several red stag antler pens I made didn't have a trace of red in them; so much for that dubious theory.

Rifleman1776

That's a first for me. Agree with others, it is a naturally occurring 'thing', whatever caused it. Finish the pen, seal well with CA. If customer doesn't like it make him another then mark up the price on this one and sell to someone else.

Stevej72

Thanks for all the responses. This was part of an order of 14 pens for a wholesale customer. I think I will keep it and mark the price higher and sell to a retail customer. I have assembled it and will try and get a decent picture for Show Off Your Pens.

JohnU

Being the son of a taxidermist ( and his shop slave) Ive seen many broken deer antler with red and maroon in them. I would guess that the rack was an early kill and not as dry as most sheds found or deer killed later in the year. I agree with the others, it looks good and adds character to the pen. Good Job!

reddwil

The red ...Its caused from brusing while the antler is in velvet. Since the antler is soft, the bruse runs deep. Just like on humans the bruse changes color as it heals. I'm guessing the variations in horn color, red-maroon depend on how soon the bone hardens after the injury. After it gets hard, and the deer rubs on trees, its not noticible until turned. Does make a beautiful pen.

Top Bottom