antler questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nolan

I just got two racks of antler today and I had a couple of questions. Do you guys and gals do anything special to clean them up? These look like they been sitting in the shed for awhile. I thought that a soak in bleach water might clean them up good so I dont get residual grime in the finished pen. The second question is has anyone ever tried Enduro on antler before and if so how did it work. Thanks to all who respond.
Nolan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DocStram

I don't clean the antlers. I let them age but don't bother cleaning them. I've only turned about a dozen antler pens from Elk and deer. There are penturners here with far more experience than I have had. Until you here from them, here are some general tips:

Get yourself a REALLY GOOD dust mask and wear it.

Be patient cutting and drilling them. You're gonna wast a lot of antler if you don't plan ahead. Getting straight holes in curved antlers isn't as easy as it sounds. Some people turn the pieces first before drill.

Have your tools extra sharp.

I run thin ca down the hole before inserting the tube.

As you are turning, coat the antler with thin ca.

When you have them just about the size you want, use more thin ca followed by thick ca.

I've used a number of finishes on mine but have never tried Enduro.

Sorry to keep repeating myself about the dust mask. A few months ago I had a respiratory infection from not following my own advice. It lasted almost six weeks.

Hope this helps.

Rifleman1776

If they were in a shed you shouldn't have to do anything to them before turning. The dust and smell isn't really bad. Some folks dislike it more than others, doesn't present a problem IMHO. Drilling straight on a curved item is biggest problem. Some center turn before drilling. Another method is to bandsaw or sand one side flat. That gives a better visual reference for drilling. Sharp tools and light touch. BTW, forget the bleach idea. If they are dirty just wipe off with a damp cloth.

Checked

Watch out for the bleach. I tried bleach to clean up an already turned blank and it pretty much make a chalky substance. sent to trash pile. Just turn it and see what surprises are inside.

Joe Melton

Its really not much more difficult than turning wood. The hardest part, as has already been mentioned, is drilling the hole without breaking through the side. I first cut pieces about 1/4" longer than the tubes. Then I chuck each piece up between centers and turn it somewhat round, so that when I put it in my pen drilling vise, it will align with the drill bit. At this point, you can shift the vise around on your drill press table to drill the hole closer to the side that is most interesting. That way, you can possibly get some "bark" on the finished pen, which makes it more attractive.
I use thick CA to glue the tubes, but other glues will work, too. If you are using a very thick piece of antler, the core will be quite porous, and using poly glue (Gorilla Glue) might be better. But then, you have to wait overnight for the glue to dry.
One thing I've noticed is that CA sets up faster when inserting tubes into antler than it does when inserting into wood, so I make sure to insert faster. You can insert the tube, spray the ends with accelerator, and then trim the ends and commence turning the pen; no reason to wait for the glue to cure, since it already has.
I add the 1/4" to the antler segment before turning because the drive center can chew up one end if you get a catch when initially turning the segment round.
A pen mill works very well on antler. Some people apply thin CA to the ends after using the pen mill, but I haven't found that necessary.
As for finishing, antler sands well with dry sandpaper. The dust stinks and can be an irritant to your nasal passages. I find it also irritates my skin, so I try to use surgeon's gloves. Of course, everyone has different sensitivities - you will probably learn soon that you have some you didn't know you had.
I usually sand to about 220 down to the bushings. Then I use a paper towel and coat the segments with thin CA. After it dries, lightly sand and repeat. When you get very far from the into the interior of a piece of antler, it becomes porous, just like a bone, so you need to sort of fill in the roughness, since a smooth pen is more pleasing to hold. It is my experience that the prettier antler pens are those that are made from larger-in-diameter pieces. Elk antler, especially, has some wonderful color inside - lots of blues, greys, and purples. Of course, you don't then have the bark.
After you are satisfied that you've smoothed out the porous parts enough with CA, finish with micromesh or plastic polish. The latter turns to a powder when it dries, and you may find small white specks of powder in any voids in the surface. I use a small brass brush to clean these out, but a toothbrush would probably work as well.
Don't be afraid to turn antler. While sharp tools help, you can make do with duller ones without fear of catches, after the segments are round. In that regard, antler is easier than some woods, and certainly easier than acrylics. Of course, dullish tools will slow you down.
The smell is similar to what you smell when having a tooth drilled. I use the same respirator I use when turning any wood, and it works fine.
Don't bother trying to "clean up" the antler before you start. Nothing is there that is going to contaminate the finished pen.
I suggest copper or pearl silver fittings.
I don't mean to imply in the above that anyone else who posted is doing something wrong. This is simply the method I use.
Best of luck.
Joe

mdburn_em

I'm a little late to this post but I guess late is better than never. If I think part of the exterior of the antler will not get turned away, I use steel wool to clean it. As was stated in a previous post, leaving a little of the "bark" on is a good thing. That way whoever gets the pen can tell that this really was an antler. The steel wool makes it more presentable but leaves it unmistakeable.
I use thin followed by thick ca when gluing the tubes and then end up filling the pores with thin followed by thick ca.
I use a lot of ca on these.

Daniel

As a side note to this conversation. It has come up in the past about health concerns while turning Antler. as I was researching a bulk buy on antler (More on that later) I asked a few questions. according to those that know far more than I ever will about antler. there are NO diseases that can be transfered from the deer to humans from handeling the antlers.
having said that there is one health concern. that is the very fine dust that it can create, this dust is actually smoke created from from dull tools or blades. it can cause serious health problems. solution, Get yourself a REALLY GOOD dust mask and wear it.
that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom