Antler Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

This has been addressed in the forum before, but I could not find the answer (ineffective "search" ability on my part). Does deer antler need time to dry or season before turning and finishing? And if it must dry, can the process be accelerated by cutting, drilling and rough turning? I just got a source for antler from here in Hawaii, and want to get some pens on my sales table! Thanks to all you "deer" people.
Steve Guzy

keithlong

If they are this years antlers, then they need to dry. When I get fresh ones, I like to let em dry for a year. This way all the blood is dried. Also if you dont let em dry, they will be more subject to crack when drilling the holes in them for tubes. At least this is what I do. If you want to have some pink or redish color in them, then you can turn them when they are about 3 or 4 months old.

If they are this years antlers, then they need to dry. When I get fresh ones, I like to let em dry for a year. This way all the blood is dried. Also if you dont let em dry, they will be more subject to crack when drilling the holes in them for tubes. At least this is what I do. If you want to have some pink or redish color in them, then you can turn them when they are about 3 or 4 months old.

Plus they will stink more when you're working them... most of the antlers I've used have all been "sheds" after the rut, so I haven't had much need to dry them, but if the marrow isn't dry, you will get a gumming effect on your drill bit... not a huge problem, but it does make for a messy drill...

Top Bottom