Antler question.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mudder

I have a guy from work wants me to make him some pens from some rather small pieces of whitetail antler . The antler came from deer that he harvested and as you would expect it has a special significance to him. When he first brought some to me more than a year ago it was the horn and skullcap and he had them stored in his freezer. When I cut it up it was in the winter months and it never really had a chance to acclimate. I made him 2 slimlines and both of them have since cracked. One pen he uses every day and the other was sitting in his desk at home and has never been used.

He wants a couple more from deer that he got last year but I don’t want to turn them if they are going to crack. The antler was taken right from the deer within hours of the hunt and put directly into a freezer where it is today so if it is “wet†then I assume it will be the same when it thaws. I’m looking for some suggestions.

Does antler need to “dry†before turning?
Is there anything that I can soak it in to help? Mineral oil perhaps?

This antler is a bit on the small size because the area that he hunts is overpopulated and the bucks are beginning to show signs of being stunted so going to a bigger pen is out of the question.

What do you guys think? Has anyone else had this type of problem before?â€

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

smoky10

Mudder, I always let my antler dry for about 6 mos. I don't know if that long is necessary or not but right now I have some thats been drying for over a year.

mrcook4570

Boone & Crockett and also Pope & Young (organizations that keep track of antler size and records, among other things) require a 60 day drying period before antlers can be officially scored. They will shrink during that period, which would lead to a turned pen developing cracks. So yes, keep them out of the freezer so they can dry before turning.

leatherjunkie

Just like everyone who posted before me said. Let the antler dry first.

I havent been able to make a antler pen yet. But have helped my dad harvest bucks for many years, he always let antlers dry. He would not mount the antlers on the wall till the antlers sat for at least 6 months in the garage on a shelf. I thought he was just lazy [B)]till he told me that the antlers shrink while drying.
go figure my dad knows something afterall[:D]

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by mrcook4570
<br />Boone & Crockett and also Pope & Young (organizations that keep track of antler size and records, among other things) require a 60 day drying period before antlers can be officially scored. They will shrink during that period, which would lead to a turned pen developing cracks. So yes, keep them out of the freezer so they can dry before turning.

What Stan said is right on. Depending on climate, maybe wait 90 days. More is probably unnecessary.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by fxst00
<br />how old is to old for antlers? I have acess to a bunch of sheds at my buddies ranch but some are old and really white.
Thanks,
Jeff

They will probably work. I have had success soaking the cut pieces in water for a couple weeks. It does not make the material 'wet' but does restore enough moisture to make the antler less 'chippy' when turning. Mineral oil can be used but you may not be able to apply finishes if you do that. Actually, probably won't be able to.

Rudy Vey

I am not a hunter and have only made one or two antler pens, but why would someone store antler in the freezer is the point I don't get.
If it contained water, it would freeze and then would be more prone to cracks (as water expands when it freezes).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom