Antler question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

fshenkin94

I have cut my first antler into pieces to make a pen. I am now a little stumped on how to drill the hole so that I don't end up coming out the side of the antler. Any suggestions.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bonsaibill

If the pieces are not exactly straight--they usually aren't. Just put them in a vise and try to find a path through the curve that will start and finish in about the meiddle of the "blank". Sometimes this will result with some of the "bark" being left after you turn it down.

Good Luck!!!

wood-of-1kind

Cut your blank a little longer than desired. This will allow you a greater opportunity to avoid off-center drilling encounters. After drilling cut to the proper length.

-Peter-

its_virgil

Yea! Mount it between centers as in spindle turning and turn it round or close to round and it will then be straight and can be drilled successfully. Since I started doing it that way, not a single screwed up drilling. good luck and...
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by fshenkin94
<br />I have cut my first antler into pieces to make a pen. I am now a little stumped on how to drill the hole so that I don't end up coming out the side of the antler. Any suggestions.

mrcook4570

I use Don's method - turn between centers first then drill. Since the ultimate goal is to make it round anyway, this seems more efficient to me.

Efletche

I use an E-Z grip clamp with the rubber grips. They squeeze the antler very nicely. I can tiltit he antler any which way before I tighten the clamp's grip and drill cleanly through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom