antler pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

doug65

Using antler for pens, the tines are a good size for pen tops on a bullet pen as far as the marrow is concerned, what about using the bigger beam of the rack being that most of it would marrow. I have only made 4 pens out of the rack I have and seems a waste to not use the rest. Curious as to what everyone does. Thanks Doug

CaptG

Use it. It will have more color and you will have to soak some thin ca into it. I do a lot of these and they go well.

seamus7227

I've seen People use the rest for all kinds of stuff. Matter of fact, several people on this site use the tips for making pen stands. The bigger portions of the antler are great for larger barrel pens like the Majestics or the Gentleman's pens. Use lots of thin CA to stabilize as you turn it down to the bushings. then apply more thin CA. Sand. then begin a medium CA finish. MM to 12000 and then you're done. The antler and the CA really work great together in my opinion.

its_virgil

Use antler with very little bone marrow. Axis is a favorite of mine. White tail or mule deer have more bone than others. Elk is the worse with little actual bone and lots of bone marrow. But, I have one customer who wants his pens made from the marrow which often has a purple or deep reddish color from the left over blood. Use thin CA as noted to make the bone marrow more stable and workable. The antler end with the button is mostly bone and the tines are good also. Each piece is different. Good luck with you antler pens.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Top Bottom