antler pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

matvoz

Does it matter what kind of deer antler is used to make antler pens? Is there any difference between a whitetail, mule, or black tail antler in regards to the quality of pen?

thanks

Matt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Not sure what you mean by quality.
I have turned both white tail and mule deer.
There is a difference in coloring.
At one time I tried to get what they call"axis" antler(I think)
After turning and polishing the result mimics ivory.
I have since decided that each antler is unique when finished.
Even the larger pieces of mule deer with a lot of "pith" when stabilized make gorgeous pens.
One of the prettiest sets I have ever made was from a rack that was sun bleached and sat outside a taxidermists shop in the elements for 3 years.( he could not sell me any antlers but he could give me that one because it was found.
In my state, complete antlers cannot be sold.
When I cut it, bugs crawled out of it!
The more you work with it the more tricks you pick up.
I made a post yesterday on the finishing forum about a polishing compound I recently discoverd that will improve the final finish or cut down on finishing time depending on how you use it.

rtjw

I havent noticed any difference in the quality. I have found that the fallow deer antlers I have been turning lately turn out a lot better than whitetail. I think there is more color to them.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by rtjw
<br />I havent noticed any difference in the quality. I have found that the fallow deer antlers I have been turning lately turn out a lot better than whitetail. I think there is more color to them.
Whitetail 3&1/4" long for"long wood" style slimline
Natural color

20053105619_DCP_1616.jpg
<br />

coach

The only antler pen I turned was Axis that a fellow coach gave me. I have a pic in my photo album. I think it came out great. You are right, it is like ivory kind of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom