Antler caution!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick P

The acheological record is full of bone and antler knives, spear heads and arrow heads.........FOR GOOD REASON!!!!! This was from a shrp edge on a pen blank! Take your time folks, the finnal product will be a superior one and your not as likely to get blood in the finish!

Attachments

• 283162_253942947965571_100000496035888_1103352_6402230_n.jpg
    283162_253942947965571_100000496035888_1103352_6402230_n.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 537
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick P

OHhhhhhhh.......guess I should be thankful I wasn't turning moose antler!:eek:

Wondered what that whomp whomp whomp whomp noise coming from the lathe was all about!!

Little bugger put up one hell of a fight!:wink:

seamus7227

you should share with all what you were doing at the time that caused this to happen so if someone else has a similar situation, maybe it will help them, just a suggestion

Sent from my Epic using Forum Runner

RonRoss

I have to think no matter what you're doing with them, just BE CAREFUL, is Ricks point, as is anything around power tools.

Rick P

Seamus

I was rushing and instead of clamping off a sharply curved section of antler for drilling on the drill press I held it with my left hand. The drill bit caught and spun cutting my left hand. When I let go the blank must have broke loose because it started to slid off the bit. Rather than get hit with the blank I grabbed it with my right hand without thinking the blank caught again and cut my right hand. Frankly I didn't even realise I was cut till it was over, knew my left hand hurt but I thought it was just from getting the blank jerked out of it.

okiebugg

Same thing

Seamus

I was rushing and instead of clamping off a sharply curved section of antler for drilling on the drill press I held it with my left hand. The drill bit caught and spun cutting my left hand. When I let go the blank must have broke loose because it started to slid off the bit. Rather than get hit with the blank I grabbed it with my right hand without thinking the blank caught again and cut my right hand. Frankly I didn't even realise I was cut till it was over, knew my left hand hurt but I thought it was just from getting the blank jerked out of it.

I did almost the exact thing yesterday including the blood. I drilled the antler as I usually do on my drill press...only.....didn't get all the way through the blank. After a couple of expletives, I walked back to the drill press turned it on and attempted to finish drilling the hole holding the antler with my hand. I used to do this occasionally back 30 years ago, but at age 65 I've lost some of my hand strength. The antler caught and I thought I could control it, so I pulled the blank down off of the drill bit and did the same thing again with my right hand....WRONG. No stitches, but my hand is sore as hades today and my wifey is (I dont know what word to use) I'll just say she needs to pee.

Jgrden

I am concerned with the air borne dust while sanding and cutting the antler. I'd like to know what people have found out about the dangers of breathing antler dust.

IPD_Mrs

OHhhhhhhh.......guess I should be thankful I wasn't turning moose antler!:eek:

Wondered what that whomp whomp whomp whomp noise coming from the lathe was all about!!

Little bugger put up one hell of a fight!:wink:

Almost looks like he won :biggrin: and yes you probably should be happy you weren't doing something worse. Glad your hands look like the damage was pretty minor and thanks for the warning/reminder to the rest of us :wink:

Linda

Rick P

Jgrden

The dust is nasty stuff. Any animal protien can trigger allergic reactions and I ware a respirator when turning the stuff.

Linda thanks

Bellsy

Seamus

I place one end of the antler against my steb center and the other end against the live center. Turn the antler down to round and then hold it in my chuck to drill it out. The nice part about the steb center and live center is that you can pick your axis for the final pen blank. The only whomp whomp whomp is the cutting tool against the antler........:)

Dave

okiebugg

Deer Antler

Seamus

I place one end of the antler against my steb center and the other end against the live center. Turn the antler down to round and then hold it in my chuck to drill it out. The nice part about the steb center and live center is that you can pick your axis for the final pen blank. The only whomp whomp whomp is the cutting tool against the antler........:)

Dave

Ya know, that's the best idea to come along in a long while. Sitting there wondering about a curved piece and trying to figure exactly where and at what axis to drill. Thank you

That idea should be put in the tips section.

Bellsy

Seamus

Dave

Ya know, that's the best idea to come along in a long while. Sitting there wondering about a curved piece and trying to figure exactly where and at what axis to drill. Thank you

That idea should be put in the tips section.

Your Welcome.

Dave

Haynie

Think of it as making a blood sacrifice to the pen gods. I used to carve flutes, don't know why I stopped. Probably because it was a cheap hobby. Plenty of finger cutting in that hobby.

Bellsy

Here is a link on drilling deer antler on the lathe that was posted a while ago. This is how I drill them now. I had a heck of a time drilling the curved antlers on the drill press.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAEEaF8z2jM

This is just about as dangerous.

I'll have to upload a video of the process I use. Way safer and I always go home with the same parts I went to the shop with.

Dave

Top Bottom