Antler Axis Template/Jig

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

tntwoodcrafts

Somewhere I saw plans to make an axis template for drilling antler, cob and other odd shaped material but darned if I can find it. Normally when I see something that would be useful to me it is saved immediately but this one found it's way into oblivion!! It was made from a flat piece plexiglass and had straight lines strategically placed. If I could remember the tutorial part I wouldn't have to grovel and ask this question.......................thank all!!

DocRon

Don't know the reference, but I made a simple one for the slimlines I make. Just scribe three lines, one for the center, the other two equally spaced on either side of it. The two outside lines should be a distance apart equal to the diameter of the brass tube (7 mm in this case), Then just hold the gauge against the antler or wahtever and estimate where you need to drill. Then set it up under the drill press so the center line is placed properly, hold with some kind of vise arrangement and HOPE. The toughest part is holding the irregularly shaped antler at the right orientation, should be easier with a cob or a pinecone. Hope this helps.
Ron

tntwoodcrafts

Originally posted by DocRon
<br />Don't know the reference, but I made a simple one for the slimlines I make. Just scribe three lines, one for the center, the other two equally spaced on either side of it. The two outside lines should be a distance apart equal to the diameter of the brass tube (7 mm in this case), Then just hold the gauge against the antler or wahtever and estimate where you need to drill. Then set it up under the drill press so the center line is placed properly, hold with some kind of vise arrangement and HOPE. The toughest part is holding the irregularly shaped antler at the right orientation, should be easier with a cob or a pinecone. Hope this helps.
Ron
Excellent Ron, thank you. The description you gave is precisely like the one I saw. Plexiglass her I come..................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom