Antler?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

parnelli_97

I just became the owner of a pair of fresh antlers. What I wanted to know is, do they need to dry out. And if so, how long. Anything else necessary for preparing them for turning? I have read a lot about how to turn antler, but nothing about prepping it. Thanks in advance. :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

parnelli_97

OUCH!!! I was hoping for 3-6 months. So no pens from this antler for Christmas. What about bones? We were going to try boiling the ribs for several hours. Then baking them at a about 150 for several hours to get the marrow and meat out/off the bone, and dry it out.

Majorbdk

Unless the antlers special, I have some that I can trade you. I have been trading my students a deer antler pens for all the antlers they can bring me. It has worked well. PM if interested.

bitshird

Unless the antlers special, I have some that I can trade you. I have been trading my students a deer antler pens for all the antlers they can bring me. It has worked well. PM if interested.

That's the best way known to get antler also try places that process deer for hunters.

JohnU

Ive never worried about drying it or had a problem. I think I got more color out of the fresh stuff. Ive cut antler off fresh road kill ( in Nov) and made pens from it less than a week later. I know you have to wait 30 days to have a fresh kill officially scored because the antler will draw up a bit, but I believe that is mostly in width of rack and not the actual size of the antler. Maybe Ive been messing up but as long as there hard and not in velvet, I turn them.

parnelli_97

Well this one is an 8 point and it is still in velvet. I have no emotional attachment to it. It's off a roadkill deer.

JohnU

Well this one is an 8 point and it is still in velvet. I have no emotional attachment to it. It's off a roadkill deer.

I dont think you will ever be able to use it if its in velvet. The tissue will rot and not harden like white bone antler. You will need to wait until they shed their velvet , in Illinios its around late Sept to Oct before you will get any good roadkill antler.

Top Bottom