Antler ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I really don't understand why folks want to put plastic on top of antler. I can see using it as a filler. I can even see using it to level out a surface. But why on earth would you want to take the natural feel of the antler away [?]

Lou, I use CA &/or poly to seal the antler. I do not use so much that it removes the natural feel. Part may be the health side (bone) & another it prevents a reaction to the casings which I usually use for the lower blank.

swm6500

I vote for the natual finish if you have a good solid piece of antler, if you are into the porus center you will need CA to stabilize that part, but for finishing I vote to just polish the antler.

rtparso

Sometimes I can get one that is all enamel and don't need a finish. but quite often I cut deep enough that I need to stabilize and fill the material. I Use CA as a finish and a filler. If you don't like the plastic look (like I don't) apply thin CA let it soak in a 30 seconds to minuet then use the trimmings of what ever you are working on to remove the excess CA and to fill the pores. I then sand through the CA grades 1500 to 12000. I get the feel of the antler but the surface is sealed. The finish come out a semi-gloss and can be taken to a gloss with PPP. The wax will wear off pretty quick but the PPP has some polishing compound in it.

arjudy

I use CA as well and then Micromesh.

200510504628_reindeer.gif
<br />

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />I really don't understand why folks want to put plastic on top of antler. I can see using it as a filler. I can even see using it to level out a surface. But why on earth would you want to take the natural feel of the antler away [?]

My personal taste is to allow a natural patina to occur from handling. But, for sales, there are those who want their nice, white, expensive pen to stay that way. Call the finish optional.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
On anteler that is mixed, hard/soft CA seal and finish will give the pen a uniform feel.
If the antler is completely hard it may not be necessary but the CA will keep the surface smooth and shiny and that's what most people want from my observance.
Antler has a look of ivory and is probably the closest thing to ivory I will ever turn.
Since the CA is clear no one usually can tell the difference when it is present but the antler that has soft sft spots will stick out like a sore thumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom