antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Animyzo

I have a guy who is going to hook me up with a bunch of sheds he finds while prepping for hunting season. Any tips on cutting and drilling blanks? Any tips or suggestions for pen kits to use with it> (i currently only have a few slimlines left.)

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimm1

Make sure you "age" the antlers. Don't use new or fresh antlers. I have boxes with dates on them leting me know they have aged. I usually let them sit for a year. Maybe a long time to wait, but that's me.
They look Todd on Bolt Action, Cigar, Wall Street and Southwest.

Jim Burr

Banned
It is a must to use a PAPR and have a way to provide total exhaust from the work area. Antler, bone, horn and the like will kill you with minor to moderate exposure.
Sierra styles work well, Cigars and bullets, twist and bolt action are kinda cool too. Not sure a slim would be the best bet, but can't hurt to try!

Edward Cypher

There is a great video on youtube of drilling antler. Can't find it right now but I will try later. It involves drilling on the lathe and holding the blank with a channel lock or similar wrench so you can drill items that are not straight.

southernclay

There is a great video on youtube of drilling antler. Can't find it right now but I will try later. It involves drilling on the lathe and holding the blank with a channel lock or similar wrench so you can drill items that are not straight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAEEaF8z2jM

This the one? It's the best that I've seen and makes drilling antler much easier.

Rodnall

Try to get pieces as close to the size you want. If you turn too much, you go through the enamel and It's a lot more work to fill the pores. As previously mentioned, the bullet and bolt action kits are great. Also, craft supplies has a key chain knife the goes great with antler.

terry q

Turn them outside with the wind at your back because they stink.

If you are smelling them you're in trouble. Get that respirator on! Turned 4 today and didn't smell a thing.

Dan that's not an issue it's after when you remove the protective gear. The smell lingers and it makes me nauseous. I just can't turn antler. Wish I could, I like the look.

Last edited:
Top Bottom