Antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

wrightal3

Has anyone had any experience with health issues turning antler? Have turned several pens with only issue being smell. This weekend turned from an old rack and I still have odor in my nose and a slight cough this morning. Use face resperator type mask with charcoal & pad filters.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dougle40

There was some talk about the possibility of contacting "Anthrax" from them but according to the Center For Desease Control it's not likely .
See the thread below -
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2504&SearchTerms=anthrax

woodpens

I have had chest congestion for several months after making several antler pens during the course of one week. It eventually cleared up, but it seemed to take forever. I make VERY few antler pens anymore.

wrightal3

Thanks Doug & Jim. Have new DC system on order which will improve conditins considerably. Think I will also replace my respirator as it is getting old.

Rifleman1776

Respectfully, that is antecdotal. It is not conclusive that the antler caused your problem. Nevertheless, I would agree that caution is always in order when we don't know for sure. Some internet research might help with this question.

Originally posted by woodpens
<br />I have had chest congestion for several months after making several antler pens during the course of one week. It eventually cleared up, but it seemed to take forever. I make VERY few antler pens anymore.

wrightal3

Received this reply from CDC re my query. Gives me some comfort.

CDC Public Inquiry [inquiry@cdc.gov]
In general, there's very little risk associated with deer antlers or dust generated by cutting or sanding them.

However, that being said, there are couple of exceptions to note:

1) If the individual is removing antlers from a deer harvested in a Chronic Wasting Disease endemic region, they should take reasonable precautions to avoid or limit contact with brain material when cutting through the skull plate.

2) If the deer came from a region where anthrax outbreaks among cattle and wildlife are common, and the deer was found dead (as opposed to harvested during a hunting season), the carcass should not be moved and antlers should not be removed or salvaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom