Antiquing Alternative ivory

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

redfishsc

The first piece of alternative ivory I will have used just arrived. The instructions say that you can soak the finished blank (ie, prior to assembling the pen) in tea to give it the aged look.

Anyone tried that? Anyone have any pics? I'd love to give that a shot. I can smell a nice gold ti Jr gent fp with a nice, long tapered closed end like the old fountain pens of yore.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

If the blank is a bit oversized, you could cut some off and test. Or try soaking the whole blank to see what happens. If you don't like, it will turn off when you make the pen. Photos of results are mandatory. [;)]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Dawn is a tea drinker, we tried a variety.

NOTHING worth reporting. (Part of the preparation for the Taj project)

redfishsc

Maybe it is a matter of how long you soak it.

The blank is 3/4 round X6, I think I may just mount it in the Beall and sand/polish the outside of it and soak the whole thing just to see.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by redfishsc
<br />If Cav sits on that ivory blank and it comes back kinda "antique brown" looking, <b>I'm not turning it!</b> [xx(]

One point for Matt!!!!!

That was an LOL!![:D][:D][:D]

alamocdc

I thought this was about antiquing alternative ivory... what's all this Cav bashing?

And why didn't I get in on it when the getting was good?

Okay, s everyone quit picking on Cav! It's just not fair... it's too much like going into a gun fight against someone carrying a knife.

Sorry, buddy, I just couldn't resist.[}:)][;)]

BTW, Fish, that was hilarious! [:D]

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />I thought this was about antiquing alternative ivory... what's all this Cav bashing?

And why didn't I get in on it when the getting was good?

Okay, s everyone quit picking on Cav! It's just not fair... it's too much like going into a gun fight against someone carrying a knife.

Sorry, buddy, I just couldn't resist.[}:)][;)]

BTW, Fish, that was hilarious! [:D]

I don't know, Billy. If I go against Rifleman with a knife, all I need is one miss. Reloading those smoke poles takes awhile! [;)]

rtrimyer

Hey when I wa in Scouts and we were making indian necklaces with the plastic fake bone, we would rough it up with sand paper and then rub brown shoe polish in it after we soaked it in tea. You may want to try this before you go beyond 250 or so. The shoe polish worked for the plastic bone and mad it look closer to real. Just a thought.

Thank you

Jamie

I'm a little late replying to this topic, haven't been online for awhile.
I have tried tea and found it a little weak for the look I wanted (scrimshaw) so I ended up using black liquid water color. I actually painted it in the low spots and wiped it off before it dried. The areas I wanted very white I just buffed. I'll try to load a picture of one of the pens (an ugly pen)I did using this method. I guess you could use anything, depending on the look you want and whether you'll put a finish coat on it or not.

200791234516_scrimshaw.jpg
<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom