Another wood identification, Please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

reddwil

Bought a grab bag of pen blanks from Woodcraft several months ago. Not real sure about these two. There were several of each, and the supose to be domestic woods. The reddish one kinda looks like Padauk or maybe a redheart. The brown one, I have no clue. Any Ideas?

20086221559_IMG_0785.jpg

20086221613_IMG_0791.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

reddwil

Jarhead, Thats what I thought to. The only thing is there was about 10 pieces of walnut in the bag also, There was 6 of these. These are lighter in color and density. I know there are color variations but this is different than any walnut I have. Which at the moment is quiet alot.

THarvey

Woodcraft usually stamps a number on the end of their blanks, to identify them.

My guess would be rosewood and padauk. But, you padauk is not domestic.

Timbo

Neither look domestic to me. The red one looks like Padauk. The pore lines on the side of the blank are more pronounced than redheart. Also, check the end grain of a cleanly cut blank, if the pores are open, it's Padauk. If the end grain pores are closed it's probably Redheart.

Not sure about the other, but definately not Walnut.

alamocdc

I agree with the Padauk, but the brown doesn't like any Jatoba I've seen. From the second photo, it looks like most of my Ipe. If it throws yellow (or chartreuse) dust when cutting or turning, it's Ipe. But I've been wrong before.:D

M

monkeynutz

I think the brown wood may be ipe. Much of the ipe I've seen resembles zebrawood without the stripes, and your pics sure do look very similar. And padauk seems the likely choice for the reddish blank.

Top Bottom