Another Wood ID ??? HELP NEW PHOTOS HELP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked this wood up yesterday at the local recycling center and have no idea what it is. It is very dense and has very nice purple,pink,reddish streaks in it. I think it is some type of landscape tree as its a home owners type recycle center. I put semi gloss laquer on the wood to help show the colors, this is really neat looking wood. Remember I'm in Michigan and it gets cold up this way,LOL. Thanks everyone for the help, Victor(LandfillLumber)

2007816142812_small1.jpg

2007816142827_small2.jpg

2007816171431_s1.jpg

2007816171445_s2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I think the grain is to tight for hickory, The colors i'm sure partly due to the spalting process. Its very fine grained like maple. I'll post another pic of a few rows of blanks when I get them all cut up. Thanks everyone always, Victor

I don't think its cherry, at least none I've ever had. It is far to dense and heavy to be cherry. I have had some ornamental cherry wood not just black cherry and this is not like either of them. The bark is nothing like cherry, cherry and fruit trees have a distict bark to them. Keep the guessing please, I really have no clue at this point. Thanks everyone, Victor

GaryMGg

Actually, the grain and bark do look like cherry's configuration but cherry has blacker bark.
Can't tell if you're getting accurate color interpretation in the pics.
However, you're going the wrong way -- showing more pics with less detail.
You need to show extreme close-ups of the face and end grain.
At the scale you're posting it appears to be mineral stained cherry.
What's it smell like?

I think it is a slow growing ornamental landscape tree of some sort. It has very tight growth rings, and is very dense. The Red Gum does look like it alot just never really worked with red gum to be sure. Dogwood seems like a good option as I'm very sure it was part of someones landscaping. I have never seen cherry bark even similar in nature to this bark. Dogwwod are a rather slow growing tree also. I think its Dogwwod or red gum?? not sure thanks everyone, Victor

Seems like Dogwood is the what the masses say,LOL. I'll get my propagation books oyt on trees and see if I can find out a little more. I think I only really have one of the tree varieties this far north? Thanks everyone for all the input I think we got it. Victor

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
I got to work some Plum once and it looked very much like that wood. So did the bark. Thats my guess

Tom McMillan

Here's a link to a lot of plum wood I acquired a while back (I still call it prune wood, though--becuase of the history of the area I live).

Link: http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23052&SearchTerms=Prune,wood

No leaves this must have been cut 1-2 years ago thats some of the problem is what is spalting and what is the natural coloration of the wood. I don't think its plum as that plum looks to be a nice purple-pink trough out the wood except the sapwood. I don't think its a fruit wood at all it has no real smell when cut and fruit wood grows at a middle of the road pace for trees ( not fast, yet not so slow as to make this dense a wood. Thanks everyone for the info. You all are a huge help to us new guys to turning, Victor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom