another weirdo drill bit rant

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rifleman1776

I recently ordered a pepper mill kit from CS. My old faithful, store bought, mill went bad so, of course, I thought I would make my own personalized mill. When I ordered the kit, I noticed the 1 1/16" Forstner size bit needed but did not order one as I have a huge selection of Forstners including a large set. Well, I suppose, predictably, my collection does not have this size. And, in the catalogs, I found one must get a really big set to have this weirdo size included. Well, I'm not about to fork out the money to buy a Forstner for a one-time use. The kit will go to waste or be given away. I'll buy another ready-made mill to replace old faithful. Why do they do this? It just riles up and dissuades customers from buying more products. Unlikely I will ever make a pepper mill.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CaptG

Hi Frank, Woodcraft has individual Forstner style bits. The 1 1/16 is part # 129994 and sells for $29.99. Hope this helps.

CaptG

Frank, If you want, pm me your address and I will send a bit and extension pc. you can use. When done just mail them back.

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
The Rockler kit is the same way. I used a 1 1/8 bit and it worked. you could test that in a piece of scrap and see if it will work on the CSUSA kit also.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Why not use a 1" and then carefully cut the last 1/16" out using a scraper. I know it would be slow using a cut and fit approach, but much cheaper than a new bit that you don't plan on using again.

Originally posted by Monty
<br />Why not use a 1" and then carefully cut the last 1/16" out using a scraper. I know it would be slow using a cut and fit approach, but much cheaper than a new bit that you don't plan on using again.

Originally posted by dalemcginnis
<br />The Rockler kit is the same way. I used a 1 1/8 bit and it worked. you could test that in a piece of scrap and see if it will work on the CSUSA kit also.

Too easy.

I think the manufacturer should have called Frank first to see what bits he has available before they started production. The nerve of some companies.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />
Originally posted by Monty
<br />Why not use a 1" and then carefully cut the last 1/16" out using a scraper. I know it would be slow using a cut and fit approach, but much cheaper than a new bit that you don't plan on using again.

Originally posted by dalemcginnis
<br />The Rockler kit is the same way. I used a 1 1/8 bit and it worked. you could test that in a piece of scrap and see if it will work on the CSUSA kit also.

Too easy.

I think the manufacturer should have called Frank first to see what bits he has available before they started production. The nerve of some companies.

Ron, finally, someone who tells it like it is. [;)]

Phillip

I purchased several salt and pepper mils from CSUSA and the kits I ordered do not use the 1-1/16" bit. The kits are not the delux model but look great and function as well as the rest. The kits are 085-0005, 085-0007, 050-7150, 085-0010. If youy call them they will let you know in advance what tools are needed to complete the project. I love making the pepper mils and hope this doesn't discourage you from making more in the future.

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
I was just on the Woodcraft site and they have the bit for 6.50. It's on backorder till 11/28 but what the heck, that's only Wednesday. Part # 147884

bjackman

Frank,
First off, I understand your frustration, (I know it's an ongoing one. ;) ) A couple years back when I began making the crush grinders CSU was out of stock of the same bit so I went ahead and drilled the length of the body with a 1" bit I had. Seeing how it goes together I figured I could open up the very top of the hole if I needed to. Turned out just fine with the 1", in fact I think I like it a little better that way, slightly more snug fit at the top, but still not binding. The difference in peppercorns that will fit in the body is miniscule, so I say go for it and "show them" [}:)]

toolcrazy

I just bought some grinder kits from Ed. And he also recomends using 1 1/16 bit (not Ed's fault here, just the manufactures). Now, I have no problem buying new tools. But I agree that the manufactures need to consider what is best for the buying public and not release kits that require odd sized drill bits. So, I'm with Frank, I'm not buying a bit. But I am going to work around it and make my mills, anyway. Thanks Frank!![:D]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
HORRORS!!!!!

A new bit!!!!!!

WHODA THUNK!!!!!!!!!

Having undeleted all these expletives (spelled correctly, Cav), let's examine the WHYS of the sixteenth. The quarter inch rod that drives the grinder will peacefully co-exist with ANY hole that is over one-half inch.

The tenon on the "turning section" of the peppermill is made by the "woodturner" to fit the hole that extends through the body and so, it can be any size you like. So, WHY is the 1&1/16 measurement needed? To accomodate the female part of the grinding mechanism. This part is about 3/8" tall. SO, if you drill a one inch hole "through", then get out your Dremel (or look alike) sanding tool and expand the last half inch of the hole to 1 & 1/16, the problem is solved.

Oh, and Frank, there IS a cheapy set of forstner bits available that features ONLY the sixteenth inch sizes from one to 3 inches (if I remember correctly). Seems to me it cost $29 - but that was probably on sale, cause I am ALMOST as CHEAP as YOU!!!!

But, I make a lot of peppermills and I got tired of sanding the hole in the bottom.[;)][;)][;)][;)][;)]

Draken

For the only peppermill I've made so far, I used a 1" spade bit for the through hole and the upper portion of the crush grind mechanism fit perfectly. Sure went a lot faster than a forstner through end grain Canarywood....

Hosspen

I don't know if this would work, but I would try it first: Buy a less expensive spade bit 1 1/16" and if a flat bottom is crucial grind or file off a bit of the tip. I realize end grain is tougher to drill but if you aren't going into the pepper mill business you won't have wasted that moolah. There is probably a metric size spade bit real close to 17/16" if you can't find one that exact size in inches? I know this is a country hick's solution, but consider the source.

Hosspen

Oh yeah, my other idea : how about the old timey expansive bit? It is adjustable and will take a little bit of elbow grease but It will feel good to get the old ratchet brace back in your hands.Your pepper mill would then really be Hand Bored. I'd be willing to let you borrow my expansive bit if you don't have one handy. Sincerely

Frank,
I make lots of peppermills, so I bought the 1 1/16 bit.. Woodcraft has a couple of different priced (probably read that as quality) bits and you can get one for under $10 for a one time use... assuming you have a standard mill kit, the 1 1/8 will work.. but it does make the fit a little sloppy.. you have to get exactly centered.. (and seeing your work, I'm sure you will)..

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Hosspen
<br />Oh yeah, my other idea : how about the old timey expansive bit? It is adjustable and will take a little bit of elbow grease but It will feel good to get the old ratchet brace back in your hands.Your pepper mill would then really be Hand Bored. I'd be willing to let you borrow my expansive bit if you don't have one handy. Sincerely

Hoss your suggestions and attempt to help is appreciated. But, you miss the point. Understand, I am old, crotchety and stubborn. [:0] The issue is forced options and I don't like that. My intention was to make myself ONE peppermill. To have to buy extra tools for ONE item is what sets me off on a rant. Also, understand, this is a RANT, don't expect me to be rational. [}:)]
Now, if I were inclined to make multiple peppermills, I would buy a high quality brad point bit for the drilling process. I make duck calls and have found that a Forstner bit is the least efficient, or desirable, tool for end grain drilling of large (over 1/2") bores into hard hardwoods. The spade works sorta OK but I greatly prefer the brad point bit. They are very costly, I have paid up to $25.00 for one. Note:I'm not cheap, just careful with my spending and tool selection.
I have sent the kit to a friend. Rather do that than yield to the forced option thing. Today, I'm buying a factory made peppermill from Wal-Mart. So there. [;)]

GBusardo

LOL, Frank, i got to say, that your posts always makes me smile. I am with you on the "Why do I need a new tool to build one little project" rant. I also can't stand having to buy a new bit and bushings, just to try a different kit of some sort. If anyone doesn't think that is not on purpose, they haven't been paying attention.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />
Originally posted by leehljp
<br />
Originally posted by Chuck Key
<br />Easy solution. Stop eating pepper and be happy[:)][:)][:)]

Chuckie

But pepper is very fibrous and old folks need fiber! [:D] [:D]

At Frank's age he doesn't need roughage; he needs smoothage!!! [:D][}:)][;)]

Cav, I won't go there. [;)] But, I will boast that I am probably the healthiest, most active, guy my age you have ever encountered. Partly just by blessings and partly because I believe in moderation and a good attitude. When I stop enjoying life, you are welcome to be among the first of those who toss dirt on my face. Cheers, y'all. [:)]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Frank said:
"I have sent the kit to a friend. Rather do that than yield to the forced option thing. Today, I'm buying a factory made peppermill from Wal-Mart. So there."

When you do that, don't buy one that says "Mr. Duddley" unless you want to buy a new one for the New Year. It lasts about a month.

Get stainless steel mechanism - imports that I have seen, don't have this - but it lasts.

FWIW[:)][:)]

byounghusband

Hey Frank,
www.grizzly.com has the bit you are looking for at a price of $6.95..... I have looked for some time for a set that will accomodate the Crush-Grind mills and have had a hard time.... There have been discussions on end-grain boring with forstner bits and some have said brad-point bits will be MUCH better. I agree with that thought, but have you priced those bits at that size?? [:0][:0][:0]
For the low-low price of $47.79, you can buy all for bits AND an extender from Grizzly. (I don't have any of those sizes, so that will come out of next paycheck)

Good Luck!!!

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Frank said:
"I have sent the kit to a friend. Rather do that than yield to the forced option thing. Today, I'm buying a factory made peppermill from Wal-Mart. So there."

When you do that, don't buy one that says "Mr. Duddley" unless you want to buy a new one for the New Year. It lasts about a month.

Get stainless steel mechanism - imports that I have seen, don't have this - but it lasts.

FWIW[:)][:)]

The one that died had a ceramic mechanism and was about 10 years old. I hope they still carry it or similar. If not, I'll look for the SS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom