(another) table saw question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nwcatman

guy on craigslist has a ryobi 20R (?) tablesaw for sale. been used the proverbial 3-4 times. pic looks good. wants $185 for it. i need an accurate saw to cut segmented pieces with. any opinions? thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ahoiberg

is it one of those ones with a sliding table? if so, i've read some reviews online that it was rather imprecise. you might want to type the model # of the saw into google or amazon and read others' reviews, that always helps me when trying to decide on craigslist tools. that said, if your budget doesn't allow more, you might be wise to pick it up.

Russianwolf

There's s BTS-20 that I know of. It's not all that impressive, but better than other benchtop saws. Check HD's prices as $200 seems a bit high if it is the one I'm thinking of.

RichAldrich

I had the BTS-20. It was ok. I much prefer a standard table saw. The BTS-20 does not have a left side miter slot. You can't use the the jigs on the ryobi that you can on a regular table saw. The ryobi is also under powered when ripping through 3/4 inch oak.

rich

redfishsc

The trick to getting good angles on a table saw is to make SURE that the tilt mechanism can be locked tightly, and then make sure you are MEASURING the angle rather than blindly trusting the saw's built-in angle scale.

I'd recommend something like this puppy from Rockler.

Also be sure to be using a quality blade. I am distinctly partial to Freud and Amana blades, I've used them for years and they cut smoothly and stay sharp for quite a while. The Amana Prestige blade is very, very hard to beat for smoooooth cuts in hardwood.

27487-01-200.jpg

Boz

Besides a good blade I have found that a set of blade stabilizers makes the blade run truer and you get a much better cut. I have one that mounts on the nut side and has a machined groove that has an O ring in it. Love it. Since it only mounts on one side you do not have to re-mill your zero clearance inserts.

GaryMGg

Be it known to all men:
Eagle makes his inlayed, repeating pattern Feathers with a
used Ryobi purchased for less than $100.
His jigs are accurate to the saw.
Requirements for making good looking segmented blanks are the ability to cut
accurately with repeatability while doing it safely.
The jigs and hold-downs you build to work with are the principal tools
which will turn a decent saw into a master's playground.

Top Bottom