Another Snakewood Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wheaties

So I just purchased my first Snakewood. I've been wanting to for a while, but have been waiting to hone my turning skills. The question I have is how long should I let it sit after turning, before finishing, so it will (more-than-likely) crack and I can "restore" it before finishing?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I think Snakewood has a mind of it's own... I've made less than half a dozen pens in snakewood... some cracked by the time I finished sanding... obviously I got them too hot.. others didn't crack until the next morning or a few days later, and my step son, who is a long haul trucker, has been carrying one in his truck for over a year.. no cracks yet... I would say give it a week... if it hasn't cracked by then, finish it and assembly.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Snakewood Pi&*es me off, I rough turned a blank let it set about 3 weeks, it cracked. Repaired it, finished it and let it sit 3 more weeks, cracked again. Repaired it re finished, let it sit 3 weeks, no cracks--great. Assembled the pen, let it sit on my dresser for 2 months, no cracks Woo Hoo. Another month passes with it sitting on my computer desk, one night I hear something. pick up the pen, cracked end to end. SON of a ^*%)*. I guess I'll take it apart and try 1 more time, then if it happens to the trash it goes. Pretty wood, just not worth the hassle and worry to me.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
One of the tricks is to turn it without gluing to the tube just proud of the bushings. After sitting you will find that it shrinks and the tube may not even fit. Drill or ream it out again and repeat until the inner diameter settles. It may take a few weeks. Then glue the tube in and turn and finish as normal. This will minimize the chance of cracking.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I have one more blank in my possession, I plan to keep it to an inventory of 1 or LESS. More power to those who make it wor, I'll leave that nitch in the world to them. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

woodbutcher

I have also heard that drilling in stages helps as well. A fellow turner says to never drill more than 1/4'' at a time and to space that out over an hour or so for each part of the blank. He claims his seldom split. I personally have not tried this approach.

Top Bottom