Another size question...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

angboy

What is the smallest size blank in terms of width that one can comfortably use to make a pen? By this I mean, can a blank that's 1/2" by 1/2" be used to make anything at all, even a slimline? Or what size do people think is the minimum it needs to be?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vick

A 1/2 blank you should have not trouble making a slimline out of. On smaller blanks drilling dead center is the key.

mrcook4570

A lot of the corian is 1/2" square, and works fine for slimlines. I've made slimlines out of 3/8" stock, but also had a few blowouts during drilling.

JimGo

I've gone as small as 1/3 of an inch for a slimline; just the bushings with a mic and you'll see. It's close, but can be done as long as you nail the drilling.

Dario

Wow...didn't know that 1/2" can still be used (much less 1/3"!!!)....been throwing a lot of nice wood bigger than those!!!

About the other size...won't comment...nope won't even go there [:D][}:)]

Randy_

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />I've gone as small as 1/3 of an inch for a slimline; just the bushings with a mic and you'll see. It's close, but can be done as long as you nail the drilling.

Not saying it can't be done; but my calculator suggests that folks who try this on a regular basis are probably going to have a tough time making the balance sheet end up in the black.

What you will be trying to do is drill a blank that is already cut to the final dimension of a finished bushing to bushing slimline. Not only do you have to drill a perfect hole; but in doing so you have to hope that the wood will hold together because the final thickness of the remaining wood will be around 0.03"......about 3/4 mm!! If i was ever lucky enough to accomplish that feat, I would brag about it like crazy and "NEVER" try to do it again!! I mean absolutely no disrespect to Jim on this subject. Just pointing out that this is tremendously low percentage operation for the average weekend pen crafter!!

I don't have a set of slimline bushings handy; but the chart posted by Nils on the Yahoo board says the slimline bushings are 0.334"!! How far is that from 1/3"[?]

arioux

Dario,

Anything 1/2 or a hair smaler is usable. Slimline, Perfume pen, 7mm Euro, letter openner, keychain and many other kit can easyly use a 1/2 inch blank. Make bulk lot out of them (and seeing the quality of your wood, i want the first one), you see them regularely on Ebay. Anything from 2 to 5 inches is usable.

Alfred

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Dario
<br />Wow...didn't know that 1/2" can still be used (much less 1/3"!!!)....been throwing a lot of nice wood bigger than those!!!

About the other size...won't comment...nope won't even go there [:D][}:)]

When I sell blanks I only ship those that are cut perfectly. Don't want buyers to think they are getting junk. Those slightly small and/or with bark corners I keep and use as they still have enough 'meat' for drilling and working into pens. The finished product doesn't look any different.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />
Originally posted by JimGo
<br />I've gone as small as 1/3 of an inch for a slimline; just the bushings with a mic and you'll see. It's close, but can be done as long as you nail the drilling.

Not saying it can't be done; but my calculator suggests that folks who try this on a regular basis are probably going to have a tough time making the balance sheet end up in the black.

What you will be trying to do is drill a blank that is already cut to the final dimension of a finished bushing to bushing slimline. Not only do you have to drill a perfect hole; but in doing so you have to hope that the wood will hold together because the final thickness of the remaining wood will be around 0.03"......about 3/4 mm!! If i was ever lucky enough to accomplish that feat, I would brag about it like crazy and "NEVER" try to do it again!! I mean absolutely no disrespect to Jim on this subject. Just pointing out that this is tremendously low percentage operation for the average weekend pen crafter!!

I don't have a set of slimline bushings handy; but the chart posted by Nils on the Yahoo board says the slimline bushings are 0.334"!! How far is that from 1/3"[?]

The smallest that I have done with great success is a 10mm (.3937) acrylic rod for a friend of mine. I used my lathe and a chuck with "pin jaws" and I was able to get 49 of 50 blanks drilled without blowout. I did not drill completely through the blank because that's why I the first one grenaded.

While I cannot tell you that I would attempt to drill 1/3" (.3333) I can say that if you have a slew of them to do and you use some scrap to set up the job the most accurate way possible; once you are set up your chances for success increase. ( the machine should not change)

Having said that; if I were doing a one off I would not hesitate to use a blank of 1/2" or a hair under, and if I had a bunch of nice wood or acrylic that would otherwise go to waste I would set up and attempt it at 3/8" or a little over. What have you got to lose? And if you attempt it you learn a whole lot; not to mention the confidence boost that success gives you.

angboy

Originally posted by Jim Boyd
<br />
Originally posted by angboy
<br />
Originally posted by dubdrvrkev
<br />After all size does matter [B)] Sorry couldn't resist.

That's why I asked the question here- of a bunch of men- figured I'd get the best answer! [}:)][}:)]
My wife says men are the worst, we think 6" is 10"[:I]

Good point... But hopefully this measuring is being done using calipers for accuracy, not just eyeballing something... [}:)][}:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom