Another Sierra problem!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I just had another Sierra returned to me...the transmission has unscrewed, and is stuck inside the body of the pen...the nib end and transmission end won't mate because the transmission is too far up into the pen...

This is the fourth one that's done this...any suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

philb

problem is the pen is being turned the wrong way when turning the transmission! Ive seen customers do it when there in the workshop! They force it the wrong way, or just continue to turn the barrel evene when the nib is extended! This them loosens the transmission.

Then some have taken it apart and the pushed it together without fully screwing the transmission back in and therefore it gets trapped too far up the barrel? Or if they keep forcing the transmission around, it will also go up the barrel!

One even manage to get two springs in the nib, so the nib wouldnt turn, then forced the transmission! The it got jammed!

To get it out, knock the transmission through the top of the clip end, the top of the Sierra will detach from the clip, the the transmission can be pulled through! The squeeze back together!

PHIL

jaywood1207

Some are putting a small piece of dowel between the transimission and the finial to fill the space so that the transmission can not get pushed up inside. I read this a while ago and figured I wouldn't worry about it as it has never happened but last weekend I asked my son to put a refill in one of my sierras and next thing I know I'm disassembling it to get the transmission out. If you are worried about the dowel rattling around in there just put a touch of epoxy on it on the finial end and it will keep it secure.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Some are putting a small piece of dowel between the transimission and the finial to fill the space so that the transmission can not get pushed up inside. I read this a while ago and figured I wouldn't worry about it as it has never happened but last weekend I asked my son to put a refill in one of my sierras and next thing I know I'm disassembling it to get the transmission out. If you are worried about the dowel rattling around in there just put a touch of epoxy on it on the finial end and it will keep it secure.
Hi Jamie; I tried that last weekend and it didn't work too well. It was for a fellow pen turner. We finally just put the pen together with instructions to the user to not push the nib end too hard as well as stop twisting the pen when you come upon the resistance of the nib screwed in all the way.

The piece of wood dowel got stuck on the sharp edges of the tranny and we had a heck of a job trying to remove it.

What about a dab of CA near the top end of the tranny when first inserting it?

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I started shortening the tube a bit to not allow it to slide up so far that you can't engage the threads. Worst case here is it falls apart but can be threaded back together. Next best piece of the puzzle is to give proper instuction on its use. You can also glue the theaded parts with ca and then just pull it apart like a slimline to change refils but I personally do not prefer to glue things that should not be glued except as a last resort. The spacer idea is good as well but you probably need to epoxy it to the inside of the "cap" before assembly, I have done several this way and with no problems, I would tell you the length I cut the tube to but I will have to go measure it. I just started guessing until I found a length that worked and just painted a tube red that I use as a guage, I never actually measured it but I can if someone wants me to.

lwalden

I've had several sierras brought back to me with this problem. I have a small set of needlenose pliers that allows me to reach up inside the tube and grasp the transmission and pull out without having to try and punch out the top as some have mentioned. I use a small piece of 1/4" oak dowel as a spacer in the cap, now. I cut a number of pieces of dowel 1/4" long, and went ahead and glued them in the caps ahead of time with a couple of drops of medium CA. It's a lot easier gluing them in the cap ahead of time (as in when you get the kits, or several days before making the pen) before assembly, and gives the glue time to cure so you don't have issues with the curing CA outgassing and possibly affecting finishes.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
What is the downside of shortening the tube?

This is "off the top of my head", haven't had the problem, but certainly CAN visualize it.

jttheclockman

If this is a huge problem and I can see exactly how this can happen because I had customers almost do this right in front of me when I was showing them how to change refills. But with all our resorces here and people with metal lathes and proper tools why can't someone make a simple puller for these. Would not be hard if you have the proper sized threading tools. Should just be a rod with threads on it to fit the tranny with a nut to jamb against the barrel. Tighten the nut and it will pull the tranny out. The nut doesn't have to be the same thread as the tranny. You can use any standard nut as long as that end of the rod has threads to match. You can use a washer between the barrel and the nut so that the nut does not rub against the barrel and scratch the finish. Ok now we someone to offer this to us for a small fee. :)

JimMc7

<snip> just turn off or remove the trim ring and turn down the part that inserts into the tube. Reach inside and grab the threads.<snip>

+1

Here's a tool made for purpose Randy describes. Nib thread portion from a junked kit and epoxied on a dowel.

Also, as others mention, you can prevent the problem by epoxying 1/4" dowel in the cap before assembly. I use the 1/4" nylon spacers from Lowes and epoxy if a new pen or use museum wax to hold it in place if a completed pen. You can then tell customers to unscrew the lower 1/3 to change the refill w/o worries about the transmission sticking out of reach.

Attachments

• IMG_6852.JPG
    IMG_6852.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_6927.jpg
    IMG_6927.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Those are all SOLUTIONS AFTER the problem occurs. When we are selling pens, it is preferred to AVOID problems.

How do we AVOID this??? Again, what is the downside of shortening the tube???

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Those are all SOLUTIONS AFTER the problem occurs. When we are selling pens, it is preferred to AVOID problems.

How do we AVOID this??? Again, what is the downside of shortening the tube???
My solution was in fact a solution to AVOID the problem, I measured my trimmed tube, it was cut to 2.06 inches. Now this is my method and I take no responsibility for any errors this info might cause someone else. I would suggest trying it on a "scrap" pen, before applying it to a "selling" pen. Like a CA finish,results may vary. I don't think it is THE right answer, it is just MY right answer.

nava1uni

I give clear instructions to customers on how to properly change the refill. I have made a tool from a dental pick that I have used when I have inadvertently pushed the transmission in while putting them together.

Top Bottom