Another Polymer Clay Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ghostrider

I keep getting voids in my peices. I know I'm supposed to squeeze them out, but I never seen to turn a tube that doesn't have one or two, (or more) in them. I know I can fill them with CA, but still want to know if I'm doing something wrong.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KnB Polymers

Hey David,
Are you referring to "dips" that you can feel when you run your finger over it?
I make the pc on the tube a little bigger than the bushing size, then roll them to smooth them out. We have 2 glass cutting boards, we put the bushings in the ends of the tube, then put the tube in between the glass boards, grab the top board and slide it back and forth making the tube roll and it keeps it even that way. Does this make sense? I'm not good at explaining things! LOL!

ghostrider

lol Yeah Kathy, it's difficult to describe some of these things.

Take two colors and sandwich them together like I usually do. I believe these voids are from the clay not adhering to each other. like two strips that just didn't stick together enough, and when I'm turning/sanding it shows up. Sometimes it's also just air pockets that I didn't get out, usually around where the two pieces were supposed to be stuck together.

Does that make sense.

BTW:

tried your suggestion of baking the Premo! @ 300. Funny that the red/black tube came out fine, and the Purple/green tube came out dark when they shared the same skewer. :confused:

KnB Polymers

"tried your suggestion of baking the Premo! @ 300. Funny that the red/black tube came out fine, and the Purple/green tube came out dark when they shared the same skewer."

Are they in the center of the oven and not towards the top element? And did you try the "foil tent"?

So you're putting the two colors on top of each other and not side by side? If so, I would take the two colors and lay them out on a piece of wax paper and roll something over them from end to end pressing pretty hard. If you are putting them side by side, I would do the earlier thing I mentioned ... make it bigger than the bushings and roll them ... the clay will be forced together.

Hope this helps some!

ghostrider

"tried your suggestion of baking the Premo! @ 300. Funny that the red/black tube came out fine, and the Purple/green tube came out dark when they shared the same skewer."

Are they in the center of the oven and not towards the top element? And did you try the "foil tent"?
Yes, and Yes. One fine, the other dark. I figured it had something to do with the color (maybe purple).
So you're putting the two colors on top of each other and not side by side? If so, I would take the two colors and lay them out on a piece of wax paper and roll something over them from end to end pressing pretty hard. If you are putting them side by side, I would do the earlier thing I mentioned ... make it bigger than the bushings and roll them ... the clay will be forced together.

Hope this helps some!
Hmmm. I'll give that a shot next time I'm making tubes.

Thanks.

Top Bottom