another painting option???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

I have been having difficulties with reverse painting my blanks as well as my tubes. the paint at some point always seems to chip or slosh off when I insert my tubes. I allow plenty of time for drying but something seems to always happen no matter how careful I am. I am curious if anyone has tried this or knows not to try this, but couldn't I instead mix paint in my epoxy? I know turners use this for inlays and whatnot. so would this hinder the effectiveness of the epoxy? has anyone tried this before? I would think that if it doesn't mess with the holding power of the epoxy that it would be a great way to garuntee a complete coat of paint inside the blank without chipping. Any ideas or testimonials appreciated! I'm gonna give it a try in the morning and will post my results then.

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
I do it all the time but it wont solve all the problems. I find sometimes I can still see the swirls of the glue. Not necessarily a bad thing though as I try to anticipate that happening and use a color that compliments the blank and I've had some turn out that I think it added to the looks.

Mickey

FYI, I've mixed a lot of things with epoxy and had it work well. However I just recently mixed a drop of india ink with 5 minute epoxy to create a black inlay and it took it two full days to set up completely.

Last edited:
Top Bottom