Another Option on pen drilling.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck C

This already could have been mentioned but I couldn't find it. This afternoon I had my 4 jaw mini chuck from woodcraft in the Jet and I put a 7/8" pen blank in it and put a drill chuck in the tail stock with the appropriate drill in. I was able to drill a perfect hole straight through without problem. I had to stop once and reset the tail stock because I didn't have enough movement in the drill chuck/tailstock. It was easy and accurate and takes me less time that setting up the drill press jig. I checked and it would have worked just as accurate with a 5/8" blank. Hope this helps somebody.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

esheffield

I've started doing this myself. This is actually the way we did it in the class I took at Woodcraft in Roanoke, VA. The instructor did the drilling by locking the tailstock, starting the bit into the blank by screwing the tailstock into about 3/4", then unlocking the tailstock and just pushing it through along the bed, backing out every so often to clean the chips.

Main reason I've starting using this technique though is that my benchtop drill press doesn't have enough travel to make it all the way through a blank at one go so it was a pain to fool with.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I do drill on the lathe,and at times I have found it more aaccurate,but you cannot convince me it's faster than a drill press.
The tail stock on the Jet mini has a travelof 2"at best.
My Ryobi BTDP is 3&1/8 or 1/4.
The tail stock has a little slop.
Advancing the tail stock is the same as raising the table on the drill press.
This method is another option,but I wouldn't say it's any better.
Also If you don't have a four jaw chuck it's a little tough.
As far as setting up the DP what set up?
I put the blank in a V-block,hold it in position with my thumb and left hand and drill away.
Don't even bother to clamp them anymore.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I use that technique with my SuperNova and pin chuck for blanks that take a large bit (Baron, Jr Gent,etc) and it really eliminates bit travel... has saved a few marginal sized blanks that might have been ruined...
For most of my blanks, I just use my drill press... the above technique is definately slower, but when you have that special piece of wood that you are scared of ruining, it can save the day...

JimGo

I've been trying to work up the courage to try this. Tom, yours is exactly the scenario I am faced with, and I was a littl nervous about my drill press...maybe I'll have to give it a try! Thanks Chuck and tom!

jdavis

It is easy to drill that way, but we drill in large number of pieces at one time and the drill press is faster. I do drill some of my personal blanks on the lathe. Impatient students like things that they do not have to take a long time to do the job they are after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom