Another Noob w/ Questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimbob91577

So I'm relatively new to the Pen Turner's forum, but I have been turning slimline pens (about 20 total) for friends and family for about 18 months.

I'm interested in learning CA finishes and Mandrell-less turning.

I have read an article on the BLO/CA finish method, but from browsing some posts understand that there is a (arguably?) better method? Does anyone have a link to an article describing this?

I also would like some information on how to get started turning pens w/o a mandrell. From what I have read on this forum, it is easier, more reliable, and produces better results.

Thank you!
Jim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

byounghusband

Jim,
Welcome to the Forum and the sickness we lovingly call Pen Turning!! Are you looking for a better CA/BLO method, or a better process using different materials?

I use CA/BLO for my pens and it is the one I learned from Don Ward. It is in the Library. I don't follow it EXACTLY, but you will find that many of us have a slightly different twist to our methods.... I recommend trying what Don and others have come up with and then modify it to your own tastes for what works for you..... Not to take away from other's methods that are out there, but Don's works for me and if it ain't broke, I don't fix it....:wink:

Daniel

Jim, the best CA method is very much like asking someone what is the best color. so much involves your taste, your expectations, and what works for you.
I do recommend you start simple, less chances of messing up if there are fewer steps.and build from there. all variations work for someone and add there benefits as well as draw backs. Just remember the final idea is to coat the wood with CA, sounds simple but it can get complicated. That complication arises from attempts not so much in trying to get a CA finish as it is in trying to make a better CA finish. CA has some problems that seem to crop up almost randomly. some of the methods are attempts to eliminate or at least reduce these occurrences. since the final goal is to cat the pen with CA the only must have requirement is CA. Sandpaper, Micro Mesh, BLO, Denatured alcohol, polishing or not polishing the blank, Accelerator, or even what thickness of CA you use are all optional and may or may not help you achieve your personal desired finish.
I would not recommend anyone try to do a CA finish without the use of sandpaper. other woudl not consider eliminating BLO, I have never used it. Many get tired of waiting if they do not use accelerator. I don't as it increeases the chance of damaging the finish. (some question about this).
I would suggest you start wiht some super glue and at least sandpaper to 1200 grit and still don't expect finishes that you see here. want the best chance for success right out of the gate? get Micro Mesh. apply the CA in the way that sounds best to you. When you think you have the CA on thick enough add at least two more coats and start sanding being very careful only to smooth the CA not sand through it. polish it all the way out with the MM. Most of the other details in CA Finish have to do with ways to apply the Glue or additives that help get it to apply more smoothly.

rej19

CA Finish by a Newbie

I have read extensively and watched many a video demonstration of the CA finish. I have waded through much data to arrive at my own system. Not to say it doesn't vary occasionally but here's what I do.
1. I use BLO only as a base for the first coat. Making sure it is dry before moving on. I like what BLO does for bringing out the grain.
2. I apply 2 coats of thin. I alternate all of coats from right to left, then left to right through all of the process to keep even coats. I don't over do it. More thin smooth coats work better than 1 thick coat.
3. I use very light burst of accelerator between coats. It only take a very short burst.
4. I then apply Med CA coats same as above until I have the thickness I want. Usually about 4 Med Coats. Remembering a different direction between coats.
5. The key for me is making sure I get it smooth as possible as applying. It is difficult to correct if you get it is to thick and you get start to get ridges or clumps.
6. I try not to rub back and forth with one particular coat. Just go one direction one time. If that makes since.
7. If everything go smooth. I start with the 1500 MM through 12000 MM.
8. I then use Novus 2 polish and then top with a Hut plastic polish for the final coat.
I think the main key is not try to over work it as you are first putting it on. If I do my paper towel ends up grabbing and I have a mess.
Thats what I do and is a work in progress and seems to improving each time I do it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom