Another 'newbie' question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

MDWine

I've searched the forums for this one, but didn't see anything!

Lots of talk about starting out... tools, finishes, sandpaper, micro-mesh, on and on...

How about WOOD?? Any thoughts about the various woods that might be easier for a new pen-maker to try?

I made one mistake, I have looked on various suppliers, and on ebay (just out of curiousity) and OMG[:0], I don't think one could run out of choices!

I think I'm in real trouble[:p]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darbytee

Michael, I'd probably recommend that you try a variety pack of woods. You can usually get them pretty cheaply on ebay. This is an example of what I'm talking about:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=71234&item=8178301036&rd=1

This will give you a chance to try out some different woods with a small investment and not be concerned about making mistakes with an expensive blank. Good luck and welcome to the IAP.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Even with the high shipping cost that is a good deal on some nice domestic woods...
AS a newbie, the only suggestion I have is stay away from exotic burls until you are used to your tools and not getting a load of catches...
I still screw up a burl now and then and let me tell you it really ticks you off when you are on the final cut and screw it up...
Woods like cherry, walnut, locust, can make nice pens.. IF, you take your time and sand and finish them properly...
As for finishing... I recommend that you take a couple of inexpensive blanks and spindle turn them into a cylinder and practice your sanding and finishing on them... no sense screwing up the finish on a set of blanks with the tube in place...
The name of the game is practice... practice and not taking yourself too too seriously...

JimGo

I'll second Tom's recommendations. I found Walnut to be very easy to turn, and it made a nice cigar pen. I also had good luck with Cocobolo. Cocobolo is a much harder wood, and that makes it a little bit more difficult to turn, but in my experience it also isn't a subject to breaking as some of the other woods. Ironically, I had BAD luck with some pre-drilled Rosewood blanks, even though Rosewood is in the same family as Cocobolo.

The big tip is to go slowly at first. The more aggressive you are with your cuts, the more likely you are to have the blank shatter on the mandrel. In some cases, you can glue it back together, but if you take your time, you'll significantly reduce the likelihood of this happening in the first place.

This thread lists some good eBay suppliers:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4570&SearchTerms=ebay

You can also check the individual and business classifieds here on the board; there are some great deals to be had.

Good luck!

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Mike you are not too far from the Capitol District Woodturners in Alexandria.. here is there website
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
Joining a club is a great way to learn and the Capitol District is probably one of the best for mentoring...
I am president of Mid-Maryland Woodturners in Frederick MD and you are welcome anytime our website is..
http://www.mmwc.vorefamily.net/current.html
It is still under serious construction because we are a new club with all the growing pains involved.. but we are having fun and learning from each other...

JimGo

Jeez Mike, I didn't even look at your profile. I'm about to move to Reston, and work in Tyson's Corner. I'd be happy to get together with you and share what little knowledge I have! Also, check out these links for some very inexpensive walnut:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4785&whichpage=3

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4742

leehljp

Member Liaison
WoodCraft has a couple of different variety bags of blanks and I bought one. It was a helpful experience, but about a third were not of the quality of the blanks that I see here and none were stabilized. I did not know what stabilized was when I bought it, nor did I know about this forum. I was happy to see all the varieties and I learned a lot from them. Overall, If I had it to do over again, I probably would buy the WC variety bag just for the experience, But Knowing what I know now, I would be better off to buy based on the recommendations here.

Daniel

From an experience with my son while making Freedom Pens. as a new turner he found Yellow Heart to be his favorite. we where using several types of wood so he was getting a well rounded education in how different woods will behave. when he got to his forst piece of yellow heart he got all excited and asked if there was any more of that in the pile. so we fished them all out and he turned all of them.

MDWine

Excellent!!

Thanks guys/gals!!

I think I'll cruise over to Woodcraft and pick up a few things, and see if I can get to makin' some dust and chips!! (more dust, fewer chips ;o)

Ya know, this "work thing" really gets in the way.... Here I am all all fired up, and I can't go anywhere until 5:00! That's just wrong!

its_virgil

For all of you newbies....be careful with cocobolo...Lots of turners are allergic to cocobolo...and the rest of us will be one day. Many older turners have told me that there are two kinds of turners, those who are allergic to it and those who will be eventually. I, personally, have had no problem with it. Guess my day is coming. There may be other woods similar.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

JimGo

Good point Don, thanks! I always wear a very fine mesh painter's mask (one for "hazardous substances" or something like that from Home Depot/3M), and don't smell or taste anything through that, fortunately. However, I will probably be investing in a respirator if I stick with this for any length of time.

I think the warning actually applies to most of the very hard hardwoods; the dust that comes off of them is a lot finer than that from stuff like Pine, which I think I read somewhere is the cause of the problem.

Fleabit

I second the variety pack from woodcraft. I bought one and it gives you a wide variety of woods to play with. I am still turning on that pack.

MDWine

I'm off to Woodcraft in Springfield Virginia tomorrow (3/26), should be there when they unlock the doors.

If anyone else is interested, it would be nice to meet you. Perhaps we could have an "impromtu chapter meeting"[:D] over a cup of coffee!

(how can I hide the receipt from SWMBO? [:p] )

driften

I started with Bocote and that was easy to turn for a rank beginer and looks good.
I think buy a 10 pack of what ever $8-$10 packages of wood looks good and give it a try.
The local woodcraft normally has 5lb bags for $12 but they are not all cut into pen blank sizes
so may not be as good if you are not ready for cutting them down.

atvrules1

Michael,
I've found cherry to be very easy to turn and finish. Regular maple is another that is nice as long as it isn't any of the figured stuff. The reason I mention these two is the simple fact that I get scraps from a couple of local cabinet makers that they just throw in the burn pile, so they are FREE (magic word).
I find that using these gives me the feel of some very nice woods but because of the price I don't get so upset if I really mess one up. Because they are better for larger pieces of furniture the grain isn't anything to get excited about, but in terms of being able to make lots of shavings and get a good feel for your tools without a large outlay of money I havn't been able to beat this deal.
Alan
Fredonia, Arizona

Daniel

Anouther note about reactions to Cocobolo. in this case at least the reations can be caused not only by breathing it. but contact with your skin has been a problem for some people.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Mike, if you don't mind a trip to Western MD (Washington County), you can come visit and probably go home with some free wood.. I have a bunch of stuff I will probably never turn... perfect for a newbie and will make nice pens.. and we can spend some time playing on my lathe... let me know..

MDWine

You guy and gals are the greatest... really...
Since finding this forum, I've hardly visited the fishing forums I used to spend so much time on. (That's REALLY saying something!)

Thanks for all of the advice, and assistance...

BTW... I did meet Lou at the Woodcraft store last week, and he helped me tremendously! We picked out all kinds of tools, finishes, and even wood. I got a pack of Bacote, and started one blank.

I'm taking it rather slowly, I started turning the blank without tubes, and am pretty confident I won't blow up this first set. I glued the tubes in last night, and will get a trimmer on Saturday. With any luck, I hope to have a finished pen on Sunday!!! There are pictures in my album, and I will post more as I move along.

jdavis

I start my students out with walnut blanks. They are very successful with them. Variety packs are good starters as you can find the wood that you like. Several suppliers have starter packs.

driften

Bocote is a good choice. It does turn real nice and I don't think you would ever blow out any.
BTW I just tried BOW and that sure is nice to turn! In any case take light cuts and take your time. Keeo the
lathe speed up on wood. Make sure your tool rest is adjusted as you go.

Good Luck!

Rifleman1776

You have noted by now that every reply has a different opinion. In fact, I have blown out bocote and don't plan to ever try turning it again. Olive wood, cocobolo are always top favorites, you can't go wrong with either. Walnut does not seem to be a popular wood with this group, but it is one of the most beautiful and classicaly elegant woods in the world and it turns wonderfully. I don't know that I have a favorite, other than free [:p]. I just love the natural beauty of wood and like to turn many kinds.

MDWine

Right you are, Frank. I get excited about all wood, I think. I always tell my wife that a piece of furniture is nice. What I mean to say is "isn't the wood beautiful", what she HEARS IS "we should have that piece of furniture"... I hear "not my style" quite often.

I got the Bacote because it was pretty, and it was reasonable. I have some pieces of wood around the shop that I definitely want to try, particularly some brazilian cherry.

I was thinking of something in a natural orange/maroon, for Virginia Tech colors... that'll be fun...

Lou and I were talking about you last Saturday. He mentioned that you shoot a smoke-pole... I'm with the North-South Skirmish Assoc... too much fun to be had "out there", huh?

Have a good'n, and watch yer top knot!

butcherofwood

Mike,
I found some great guys at local cabinet shops that gave me free smallish chunks of walnut, bocote, even some oddball burls.
Worst thing they can say is no, you got nothing to loos.

Best of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom