Another new pen turner: My daughter

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jbswearingen

So Emma's been bugging me for months to teach her to use the lathe, but I've wanted to hold off until she was ten (next summer). I gave in this weekend and let her try. I'm glad I did. She took to it like a duck on water, and was giddy with happiness when done. Looking at the pic, I realized that she needs her hair tied back; it'll be done in the future. She turned this bocote Slimline from some ten year old kits I've had buried in the corner. Looks like I'll need to order more! This first one is her Christmas gift to her mother; she turned another from some stabilized blank (unknown wood) the next day.

Yeah, I'm a proud daddy.

DPP_0653Custom_zpsaa860c57.jpg

DPP_0656Custom_zps06c3f1d8.jpg

DPP_0657Custom_zps2924e079.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

:wink::wink: Brad; You are a lucky man, and Emma is a lucky girl to have a father that is willing to take time to show her how to make something with her hands !!! Sometimes we are so intent on making money, getting ahead, or tying to provide for our family, we forget what they realy need and want. Our time. Inbrace these moments, for they will quickly pass, only to be replaced by those sweet words "Grandpa can you show me how to do that"? Happy Holidays !!!! Jim S

nava1uni

Emma,
You did a real good job on your first pen. Keep up the good work.
Dad,
I am glad that you allowed Emma to learn how to handle tools. It is a skill that improves math, spatial thinking, and self esteem.
Happy holidays to both of you

chrishicks82

My daughter is 7 and has been telling me she wants to turn a pen not sure if she is ready yet I made her an artist pencil for Christmas cant wait to see her open it I need to find a case for it the one I bought is to small. She has also been on me to take her to the shooting range when I go so I took her in the back yard and let her shoot the 22 she is a pretty good shot hit the target every time. My girls are always wanting to do whatever daddy is doing.

jbswearingen

Bwahahaha! No, but Daddy will be building a platform for her to stand upon. My shop (a garage) is just too small for another lathe. It'll get even smaller when I complete my 12" jointer and 25" drum sander projects next year...

shull

I was just going to suggest the platform. Just make it large enough she doesn't step off of it and looses footing. Pen looks great. That little lady is a natural.

robutacion

Yes, I agree with everyone, wood turning in general is alive and well, plenty of new people starting up, that is a good thing...!

As for the platform for her to stand on, the rule of thumb is, the turners elbow should be at an approx. level to the tool rest, and for foot area on the stand 500mm long and 400mm wide is a great platform size...!

Congrats to both of you, well done...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom