another micromesh question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never used micromesh as I havent found anywhere to buy it in australia so I bought some on ebay in the USA.From the dicussions on IAP it seems like pretty good stuff.my question is what I need to do to make it last and basicly how to use it. because if I stuff it up I can't just run down to the hardware store and buy more so I really have to make it last.allways appreciate any help :D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

1. Do not use it on uncured finish...it will get gummed up.
2. Heat is bad. High speed = more heat so use it at slower (if not the slowest) speed possible. You will learn later that you can use faster speed but for now don't.
3. Wash is every now and then. I use toothbrush and dishwashing liquid, others put in in pant pocket or lingerie bag and wash in washing machine.
4. Avoid getting it on spinning sharp corners.

Hope this helps

Ligget

To make it last don`t turn more than 3 pens per year. lol[:eek:)]
Only joking, I hear of turners washing their MM periodically but I dont.
Make sure you have the lathe speed turned down low, keep the MM moving, I use each grit dry on wood and wet on acrylics and only working for a few seconds at a time with a light touch.
You will soon figure out your own method.

mrcook4570

Use a light touch with it. Using a lot of pressure will only generate heat and cause it to wear faster and/or melt. For a quick cleaning, just smack it against your jeans.

beamer

I see lots of guys clean theirs with a quick blast from the air compressor.

and a good place to buy it (maybe - if he can ship it to Oz) is http://www.woodchipshome.com/

Dario

Maybe you guys should do a mini MM Group Buy. The flat rate envelope is less than $10.00 if I am not mistaken. You can stuff a lot of MM in that envelope! Just an idea [;)]

beamer

I was having a similar thought as I browsed woodchipshome.com - the prices there are incredible. I was looking for the price points based on square inches. I was watching the shipping rates as I kept adding 6x12 packs - the first 3 packs worked out to about $.05 per square inch of MM. I didn't go much further, but maybe we can find a quantity that makes for quite a lucrative GB :p

JimQ

Washing? I use an empty quart mayonaise jar about half full with some dish soap. Rinse thoroughly several times, as the soap could keep finishes from adhering to your pen.

JimQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom