Another messed up pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

GregMuller

Just finished two days of work turning and finishing a CSUSA Euro pen to find that nothing fit right. First problem was that after pressing in the turning mech I found that the pen cartridge did not come out of the tip. I had to press the mech in at least 1/4" further that the indicator ring to get the tip to come out of the nib. Problem two and this was a problem throughout the pen was that all the fittings were loose. The nib, the turning mech, and even the top was loose after assembly and would not operate the turning mech properly. I believe this is all related to useing a tool that cleans out the tube as well as squaring the blank at the same time. This is the second time this has happened. Does anyone have a methode of squareing the blank with the tube in it with out cleaning the tube. I use the wax pads from BB and generally do not get glue in the tubes. I already have the 1/4" threaded rod that fred in NC suggested. I do have a band saw but only a cheap belt sander that I can't get to 90 degrees.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary

That's a bummer, Greg. I don't use a pen mill. I square mine on a disc sander. You might want to consider getting one.

KKingery

The disc sander is definately the way to go. I sometimes had problems with the mills also, so now, I examine eack piece closely before I ever even start turning it.

woodpens

The Euro pens do require that the twist mechanism be pressed in significantly more than the slimline pens. Look at the length of the lower barrel as compared to the slimlne. The twist mechanism must be pressed into the tube by the difference in length between these two. Once you have made a few, it will come natural. I have been using a barrel trimmer for about 7 years now, and I wouldn't give it up for the disc sander method. That's just my opinion. If the barrel trimmer is removing brass from the inside of the tube, you are not using the right size shaft. Are you filing the tubes at some point?

GregMuller

I am not camfering or filing the tubes. I was useing the the set from PSI but have to find a different. I ruined a great set of maple burl blanks from BB. This kills me more then the pen kit.

Gary

Originally posted by GregMuller
<br />I am not camfering or filing the tubes. I was useing the the set from PSI but have to find a different. I ruined a great set of maple burl blanks from BB. This kills me more then the pen kit.

Greg, we've all been there and done that. It can be disheartening, but you will find it's worth it when you finally turn a real beauty.

jwoodwright

Ok Greg,
You don't ream or file.

You have a cheap beltsander, table won't go 90 degrees to belt.

Make an auxillary table. Take off the junk one. This is easy. Hopefully it's a disk/beltsander. Want to use the disk.

Use 3/4" plywood for the top. Use a 1" square piece of hardwood mounted 90 degrees to the disk and glued & screwed to the edge of the plywood.
Now a 4" piece of 1/4" all thread. Drill a hole 2" into a 8" long 1" square piece of Hardwood.
2" of the all thread is glued into the 8" piece.
A blank is put on the rod and using the guide strip, fed to the disk.
If everything is straight and 90 degrees to the disk, a straight end is produced...[:)]

You can wax the guide strip, top and push stick for easier movement...

woodpens

Originally posted by GregMuller
<br />I am not camfering or filing the tubes. I was useing the the set from PSI but have to find a different. I ruined a great set of maple burl blanks from BB. This kills me more then the pen kit.
I understand your concern there! [:(]

I am guessing you mean you are using the barrel trimmer from PSI. Make sure you don't assume 7mm at PSI means 7mm anywhere else. Try something for me. Take the CSU tube, and push the pen hardware into the tube by hand. Hopefully, you cannot do this. If you can, you have an issue with CSU. Otherwise, you are doing something to remove brass or stretching the tubes somewhere along the line. The fit will be very snug unless the tube is reduced or deformed. Is the barrel trimmer real tight inside the tube? It should slide inside very easily.

jkirkb94

Greg, I use a barrel trimmer in an inexpensive benchtop drill press. The key to the barrel trimmer and with pressing in the turning mech (which I also use a bolt in a drill press) is using a light touch and doing a little at a time. I have my thumb against the mechanism and the blank as I press. This way I can feel the slightest movement as it goes down. It wouldn't hurt to invest in a disassembly tool (7mm) just in case you ever need to take a slimline or 7mm European apart. Kirk[8D]

woodscavenger

If you need a disc sander look to Harbor Freight. I bought mine there very cheap and love it. I use it to remove the bulk of the extra blank material then I use my mill set for the last few smidgeons.

Gregory Huey

I am not sure why your barrel trimmer is cutting brass other than you said PSI. I have a sander but prefer the trimmer. I broke down and bought the set from CSU and have had no problems with it. Had one from PSI but it would not run true.

dougle40

I use a barrel trimmer all the time . The only exception is for the Cigar pens (my trimmer is only 1/2") then I use the trimmer and take down the remainder on a disc sander but only on the inside ends .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom