Another Junior Gent II ????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimmyheikes

Virtually allof the pen types I turn have bushings where the one end fits into the tube to keep the blank centered. This is not the case with the Jr Gent II bushings I have. How do you keep the blank symmetrical during turning. My last blank was ruined because it was oval???? Any information will be GREATLY appreciated:):):):)............Jimmy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Whaler

From your description it doesn't sound like you have the correct bushings. To my knowledge all bushings except 7mm slims fit into the tube. There are other factors as well, bent mandrel, mandrel nut tightened to much.

Attachments

• Bushings.jpg
    Bushings.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 94

Robert111

Hard to tell what the problem is. I have the impression that the bushing fits into the tube but is too loose. Is that right? If so, that explains the oval result.

Another possibility is that you have the wrong size tube or tubes.

Still another possibility is that your drilled hole was too large and the tube fit into the blank is sloppy.

Jr Gent II is drilled with 1/2" (12.5 mm) and 27/64.

Tube ODs are .4" (10.2mm) and .48" (12.2 mm)

jimmyheikes

Thanks guys...............The verdict is in.............I have 10 Black Titanium and 10 Rhodium kits and the tubes are DIFFERENT. They all came from CSUSA but the Bl Ti are correct and the Rho have a smaller OD.............arghhhhhh...............oh well one Jeff Powell blank sacrificed to learn a lesson..........

Whaler

Thanks guys...............The verdict is in.............I have 10 Black Titanium and 10 Rhodium kits and the tubes are DIFFERENT. They all came from CSUSA but the Bl Ti are correct and the Rho have a smaller OD.............arghhhhhh...............oh well one Jeff Powell blank sacrificed to learn a lesson..........

Call CSUSA because the tubes should be the same size regardless of the plating.

PenMan1

Check the bushings. If the two bushings for the small tube are the same size, this is the wrong bushings. Dayacom makes a Jr Gent BALLPOINT as well (and the bushing part numbers are VERY close). The bushings for the BP and the Roller Ball are just close enough in size to create havoc.

I got an order once with rollerball parts and BP bushings. The issues you describe sounds like exactly what happened to me.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Kinda

Check the bushings. If the two bushings for the small tube are the same size, this is the wrong bushings. Dayacom makes a Jr Gent BALLPOINT as well (and the bushing part numbers are VERY close). The bushings for the BP and the Roller Ball are just close enough in size to create havoc.

I got an order once with rollerball parts and BP bushings. The issues you describe sounds like exactly what happened to me.

I can only speak for Jr Gent 1...but one bushing (out of 4) in the set is a tad bigger for the BP than for the FP/RB.

Last edited:

sbell111

Unless one is a jr gent 1 and the other is a jr gent 2
Those platings are not available on the CSUSA Apprentice jr Gent 1

True, but Rhodium can be mistaken for chrome.
A jr Gent 1 can't be mistaken for a jr Gent 2

It can be if they are stored in the same bin and the OP isn't completely familiar with both kits. This is especially true since the problem was experienced during turning, not assembly.

hewunch

Ok, instead of going back and forth, how about this question. Do the Rhodium kits have black threads at the ends of the barrel that houses the refill?

Top Bottom