Another Jet mini problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cd18524

I can't figure this one out yet. I took the live center out of my jet mini vs. I could not get it to go back in. I am lucky enough to have a second identical lathe. I took the live center out of that one and put it in the first one. No problem. I took the live center from the first lathe and put it in the second one. No problem. This ruled out the problem being in the threads. Anyone want to tell me what I am missing. Does this even make any sense?

Chris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kenwc

What "threads" are you talking about? I have two Jet Minis and the Live Centers are removed by backing the tailsock out with the handwheel until the Morse Taper pops out.

TAld

Chris - What model Jet Mini is it? If your speaking of the live center in the tailstock you remove it by turning the handle (on the tailstock) to back it out until arbor is free. Make sure when you go to put it back in that you move the ram forward again to allow the arbor to fit.

kenwc

I have a feeling that what you did was turn the handwheel such that the live center and live center tube moved all the way toward the headstock and then came out. That part is threaded on and it is sometimes touchy to get it to thread back on but it will. And then as you read above you'll see the proper way to remove the live center only.

cd18524

I guess I did not explain very well.

Ken - you hit the nail on the head. I removed the tailstock spindle. I don't remember anymore why I did that. I do know how to remove the live center and replace it. This is the threaded spindle. I know it can be touchy, but in this case it just won't go. It feels like it is cross threaded. But like I said I can interchange my other tailstock spindle without problem.

Does that explain it any better?

Chris

kenwc

Ok...I removed mine once just playing around with it and I know it took me a while and some fussing and cussing intil I got the threads to grab again. I don't know what to tell you other than to keep messing with it like I did.

Roy99664

Maybe I'm off base here but I think I understand what you are getting at. When I got my lathe new the threaded spindle was bent and I had to replace it. Remove the handwheel set screw, the spindle lock has to come all the way out also. Then push the part that the handwheel attatches to toward the head stock. The threaded part will come out and you can look to see what the problem is. It's left hand thread. ( if I remember right)

Randy_

OK.....here is a thought.....unless I am missing something?? If you can interchange the two tailstock spindles and they work properly in their new location, why not just leave them that way?? Two lathes...two working tailstocks.....what more could ask for??

As to the issue of retracting the tailstock spindle to eject a tailstock tool, some tools have a "SHORT" Morse Taper arbor and will not eject by simply retracting the spindle. In those circumstances, you have to use the drift rod to eject the tool. You must know how your particular set-up works and what works for you may not work for a different tool setup.

cd18524

Randy_ Posted - Dec 27 2006 : 2:50:05 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK.....here is a thought.....unless I am missing something?? If you can interchange the two tailstock spindles and they work properly in their new location, why not just leave them that way?? Two lathes...two working tailstocks.....what more could ask for??

That is exactly what I did. It still drives me crazy though. Can't get why that would happen.

Thanks to everyone for responses.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom