Another glue question?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
Short answer. If it's working for you it's the right glue.:) I started with CA and had problems so switched to epoxy. Others use it and have never had a problem. Still others use Sumo or Gorilla glue. Again, if it works that's it. While it's good to look for better ways of doing things we need to remember the adage "if it aint broke don't fix it".:biggrin:

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
If the tube is a nice tight fit I use medium CA. Make sure you can do a dry fit with the the tube in the hole otherwise it'll stick. Otherwise I like to use Gorilla Glue. A lot of people complain about the expansion of gorilla glue at the ends of the blanks. I'll trim off the excess with a knife an hour or so after gluing in the tubes and make sure the ends of the tube are clear. Saves a lot of time later.

MobilMan

Travis. I don't use CA in my tubs--my butt will stick. But I've used it for my tubes & never had any problem. Always thick & install with a twisting motion.

Techie

I've used Gorilla glue, but mostly thick CA. Both seem to work fine. I use a pen mill in my drill press to square the ends, so extra Gorilla glue on the ends of a blank is not a problem.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Speaking of glue...just received my Wood magazine in the mail and on the back cover TiteBond is advertising 'CA' glue now, and a CA 'gel'.

Anyone use this, tried it...heck, I hadn't even heard of it before 8>)

marcruby

I use structural (24 hour) epoxy. It has a long pot life so I can do a number of pens out of one batch. It's physically strong on it's own, which means that the gaps it may fill will be as strong as the wood or resin being filled. It builds heat very slowly if at all. The slow set time means I can make last minute adjustments, or even change my mind entirely.

Of course, the drawback is that it takes 24 hours to set. Which means you have to plan ahead a bit.

Marc

Top Bottom