Another drilling question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tage

I didn't want to hijack the last post about drilling on the lathe. Here's my dilemma:

I am making PSI's Over/Under shotgun shell pen. The upper blank is drilled at 9/16". I've done this successfully on my drill press making the Apollo Infinity pen, but that was with a wood blank (square). The blank I have for this is PSI's aquapearl acrylic. The blank is already rounded (supposedly to 3/4" diameter, but I haven't had the opportunity to check it yet), and there's not much room for error. I'm concerned about holding the round blank vertical in a drill press vise, so I was thinking of using the lathe. The only drilling I've done on the lathe so far has been for a few pendants, though this (obviously) is a much longer hole.

Anything I need to take into consideration before tackling this? Some further information complicating this, the lathe is a Rigid WL1200 tube lathe. I don't have a reliable chuck, as the POS one that came with it requires each jaw to be adjusted separately so I can't get a blank reliably centered. I guess I answered my own question....I need to buy a new chuck for drilling (though not really in the budget right now).

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ohiococonut

Drill slowly and don't allow the bit or the blank to get hot. If the blank gets hot it will deform. There's not much meat left when you're done.

Tage

Ohio - thanks. Yeah, it's that lack of meat that has me concerned. Not much margin for error.

Terry - I'll look into collet chucks. Thanks.

U-Turn

I use my lathe for drilling all of my blanks except antler. I do a lot of the over-under and you are right - there is very little left, but the PSI collet does the magic! By the way, my most popular combination is Ebony for the top and antler for the bottom - they move quick.

Rangertrek

When I drill some acrylics/plastics I keep a small bottle of water with a little dish soap mixed in. I wet the bit and the blanks while drilling. I never drill more than 1/4" at a time. Keep the heat down and you should have no problems.

Top Bottom