Another drill bit question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Xander

I don't know why people insist on having these (expensive) metric drills. Get a good set of regular drill bits, measure the tubes, and use the appropriate bit. The set I have came from Harbor Freight, contains all bits from 1/16 to 1/2 (by 1/16ths) and was quite reasonably priced.

skamrath1

I don't know why people insist on having these (expensive) metric drills. Get a good set of regular drill bits, measure the tubes, and use the appropriate bit. The set I have came from Harbor Freight, contains all bits from 1/16 to 1/2 (by 1/16ths) and was quite reasonably priced.

Well with being so new to pen turning I don't know all the in's and out's, what can or can't be substituted. I am just going by suggestion on websites!

Last edited:

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I assume this is in metric? I would urge you to *NOT* purchase single bits as they are more expensive than a full set of bits. You can get the 115p set, full letters, full numbers 1/16 to 1/2" and a caliper, you will be set for a good number of years.

115 Piece High Speed Drill Bit Set w/ Drill Index Not bad for $35.99

Thanks I am going there today to get these
If you have a HF close to you, then there is probably a 20% off coupon in today's paper. Take that with you.

Jim Burr

Banned
Colt's brad points are Big $$ IMHO. I use regular twist bits and drill on the lathe. I find "center" by crossing corner to corner and then use a spring loaded punch to mark. This way I can use the less expensive bits. I Googled it and didn't see that they make 10.5 or 12.5 Colts.
This link will help you find fractionals...if there is one!

Drill Bit Size Chart

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
First of all there is a reference in the library that shows the number and letter and metric and fractional drill bits. I keep a copy of it printed out and on my desktop. http://content.penturners.org/library/general_reference/conversions.pdf
It will help you decide which drill bit is closest to what your looking for
A 10.5mm Drill bit is slightly smaller than 27/64ths and larger than 13/32. Most 10.5 tubes will fit in the 10/32 hole easily. Then the 12.5 is under 1/2 and over 31/64
All most all tubes are undersized from the size specified. Check them with a digital or analog caliper. If your going to use the drill sets for other things than pen making by all means buy a full set. If all your going to use them for is pens than buy only the ones you need. Or do like I do and buy every last one known to man.:biggrin:

Top Bottom