Another chestnut question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

papNal

I just got back from a few days 'vacatin' in north Ga. and Tenn.Found a couple of places to get a few pieces of wood to cut up into blanks.I got some zebrawood,bloodwood,curley maple,wormy maple and lucked out and got an old gun cabinet made out of wormy chestnut that will give me several good wide boards to cut down. I need advice on cutting them to get the most and best blanks.I've been cutting 3/4 x 6" pieces ripping along the grain. Would some of this wood be good cut diag. and even cross grain?Thanks for any suggestions. pap:question:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

traderdon55

I don't know about these woods but i had some cedar that cut along the grain was just so-so,but when I cut it cross grain it made a beautiful pen. I would try cutting it cross grain just to see what it looks like. You never know you may be surprised like I was with how different it looks.

Daniel

As others have already said, cross grain can cause some problems so at the very least take it carefully before cutting to much of it. Diagonal cuts cause a lot of waste. not nearly as much if you have a long board. it can also lead to problems just like cross grain blanks so use some caution here as well. I have a piece of chestnut and if the cabinet wood is like what I have I don't think it would be the worst of wood for being cut cross grain.

Top Bottom