Another Beall Collet Chuck fan!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

martyb

I picked up the Beall Collet Chuck kit on the way home from work tonight. Turned down an African Blackwood Baron FP and an Ancient Kauri Baron FP. Just 2 pens into the Beall and I wish I had picked it up a LONG time ago. Been using a PSI #2MT adjustable mandrel, thought it was pretty good. Well, it's going to be gathering dust from now on.

Now does anybody know which collet fits the Berea bottle stopper mandrel?

OK, final topic jump, anyone else use the Ancient Kauri? Sand to 2000 grit and you'll see some irredescent grain patterns even before the CA/BLO finish. Its wild, I'll get pictures up soon.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

Thanks for the report, I just ordered mine today, as well as a revolving Jacob's chuck (ball bearing) to hold the tailstock end (from thelittlemachineshop.com), hopefully it's accurate. I just don't like the link-up between a 60* live center and the mandrel. Just seems like to much room for error. The revolving jacob's should be more faithful....should.....we shall see.

martyb

Ron, I'm using the small mandrel. I did find out the 5/16" collet will work, you just have to tighten a little more than normal. It gives enough grip to turn, but will slip just enough if a roughing gouge catches thus preventing you from striping the threads out of the block.

As for the PSI #2mt, I live down the road from the Woodsmith Store here in Des Moines, IA. They keep a fair selection of PSI pen turning related products in stock, the #2mt mandrel is one of them. I also picked up the Beall kit from them, $158 before tax. I believe HartvilleTool has it for about that price as well. And I've always had great service from Hartville.

I'm now using the PSI 60deg live center in the tailstock. I saw a thread in the forum with both good and bad reviews and decided to give it a try. I might also try my jacobs chuck in the tailstock at some point.

TBone

Originally posted by redfishsc
<br /> as well as a revolving Jacob's chuck (ball bearing) to hold the tailstock end (from thelittlemachineshop.com

Do you have the item # of the Jacob's chuck from LMS? Thanks
FYI..If anyone is also a member of WoodNet, Hartville Tool offers a discount.

jdmyers4

What Beall Collet size do you use for the Arizona Silhouette mandrel A & B? Currently I'm using a Taig type collet and collet holder for a 3/4"-16 tpi. I get a little frustrated using it sometimes because the collet can be screw up the thread at the end of the mandrel. Would a Beall Chuck and collet work better?

John

redfishsc

The rotating tailstock chuck is on this link:
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2504

I just recieved mine in the mail, the bearing spins slick as glass. I have yet to use it so I can't attest to it's accuracy. When the jaws are completely closed, they look to be properly aligned.

KenV

John, I use a Taig and got the beall collet chuck in 3/4 by 16. Works very well, though considerably longer than the Taig collet system. Much less runout with the ER-32 collets and they go up to 3/4 inch. Using the high accuracy mandrels (without threads on one end). they works well with the taig live center in the tailstock. Collets to use are 1/4 inch and 8mm so you can handle both the A and B mandrels. 5/16 collet will work with the B mandrel instead of the 8mm. I uses a strap wrench with the provided collet wrench and never have had a problem. Almost a sure bet for better turning.

Gary Max

A collect chuck has more/even support than a Jacobs style chuck.
But have thier advantages it's just a matter of how you are using both. Right tool for the job kinda thing.
Hope that helps

redfishsc

Originally posted by bjackman
<br />redfishsc,
I look forward to your formal review on using your tailstock chuck.

Lol, just a warning it will take a while. The tailstock chuck and my Beall-n-collets showed up just in time to get inspected....and packed right back up in storage for a month or two. I am moving in two weeks to another state and really won't have a lot of time on my hands for making pens. I just happen to have the money for them all now due to some side work that showed up recently. I also learned that I HATE REFINISHING OLD FURNITURE, pays good but is a pain in the buttocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom