Another Aero Click question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russknan

After reading a number of positive posts on the Aero Click, I bought one, with bushings, to give it a try. I prepared a blank yesterday, in preparation for turning my first Aero. When I went to trim the ends, I found I had neither a barrel trimmer sleeve to fit the 23/64 tube, nor a suitable size trimmer insert. Haven't seen a barrel advertised on Craft Supplies' site. I know some people make their own inserts out of Corian, but I don't have any of that either. Did I miss something? Any suggestions?
Russ

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crabcreekind

all you have to do is take a 7mm tube. drill a scrap wood or plastic pen blank. glue it in. and turn it the the desired size so it fits inside the 23/64 brass tube

OOPS

If you're using a drill press to operate the pen mill, AND your table is level, then using a slightly smaller sleeve is not going to be a problem. This is not ideal, but since you only have one, its better than buying a sleeve for what could be a one time use.

Xander

I use my pen mill on the lathe, held in a drill chuck in the headstock, low speed. I use one size for everything. A little loosness is not going to matter. Never had an issue.

Russknan

Thanks, all! I find myself continually astonished how knowledgeable and helpful members are on this site. Off now to try to make a piece of the old Coney Island boardwalk into an Aero Click. Russ

Culprit

You can also wrap the next size smaller pen mill shaft in masking tape to get a snug fit. I did that once (so far) and it worked well.

Make sure to wrap in the correct direction so when it is turning under power it doesn't try to unwrap and grab.

Top Bottom