Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Andira coriacea
PARTRIDGE WOOD, Angelin ,St Martin rouge ,Rode Kabbes ,Partridge wood

I have done a number of searches search and came up empty.
I recently acquired a "stash" of this and wanted to know if anyone has turned a pen out of it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
PARTRIDGE WOOD
Heartwood dark brownish red, composed of abundant and clearer Parenchyma giving a leafy or stripped effect. The sapwood is well differentiated from the heartwood and has a yellowish tint, being 3 to 4cm thick. The grain is average to coarse and has generally straight edge. Cabinet making, Turned objects (stair rails, billiard cues, etc.) Interior and exterior joinery, panelling
IAW one source, it is also called sucupira http://www.sns.dk/udgivelser/2003/tropical/background/Appendix%201.pdf
I have some of this (sucupira) from bigrobb & have drilled but not yet turned.

Thumbs

William, I don't see a picture of that wood or tree. Could it be just a whimsy or perhaps a mimsy? ....in a borogove?

No pix, no wuds! Would a Rode Kabbes by any other name sound as strange or smell the same?

Thumbs

Rats! Pastorbill1952, I wish you had waited 15 seconds!

Wait just one minute! I just checked that pdf you listed and there are no pictures there either. It could still be a Rode Kabbes by another name![:p][:p][}:)]

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by cteaglesc
<br />
Originally posted by tipusnr
<br />Sounds like none of us have turned it. I, for one, would be interested in hearing how it comes out.
A voice of sanity[^]
AMEN, I would also like to hear about this wood...
OMG, I agreed with Eagle again... [:p]

kghinsr

to cteaglesc
Hi I have turned some of this wood into pen and pencil set I was not impressed with the outcome the grain was light and dark brown and left no lasting inpression. It could be the pieces that I had were not that well figured. I still have two blanks left with no intention of turning.
hope that answered you question
ken

smwoodcrafts

I found info, in Woods of the World, of three different woods that are called Partrdge wood. One has the same genus of Ansira but the species is <b>inermis</b>. It is listed also having Angelim and Rode Kabbes as common names. Would you like info on this?

Dan

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by smwoodcrafts
<br />I found info, in Woods of the World, of three different woods that are called Partrdge wood. One has the same genus of Ansira but the species is <b>inermis</b>. It is listed also having Angelim and Rode Kabbes as common names. Would you like info on this?

Dan
Only if it's in English.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Thumbs
<br />C'mon, Eagle,where's the pix?[}:)]
O.Ok.
After my last post I went out and lopped off a couple of pieces of it.
I am in the middle of gtting an order finished and will try to post pictures today if not tonite.
I can tell you one thing as to how it got the "prtridge wood" name.
When cross or diagonal cut the wood looks like the speckled belly of a partridge or some varieties of chickedns.
I guess they figured partridge wood sounded better than chicken wood.
Has anyoneone seen any blanks of this for sale?
Wondering what it's worth.
Based on the gas it took to get this stuff I can't afford it.

Thumbs

No, ya don't have to run out and take a picture! Just wrap that wood around a tube and show us another unique pen when you're done.......

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Thumbs
<br />No, ya don't have to run out and take a picture! Just wrap that wood around a tube and show us another unique pen when you're done.......
I may wrap it but it won't be around no stinking tube!
You'll have to wait till tomorrow,...
Maybe.
And then only if you are good.

clem

there is 2 different woods called partridge wood
1 from west indies centeral amercia
1 from east africa heavier of the 2
both have the same genius leguminosae clem

mick

Pastor Bill mentioned it's also called sucupira. I've got a piece of Black Sucupira that Big rob sent me as a freebie. I'll look when I go home tomorrow night and let ya know what it looks like.

craneman54

Eagle is this what you are talking about.

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/partridgewood.htm

Here is the site where I found it,just in case someone needs it again.

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/index.htm

BigRob777

It seems like there is a major difference of opinion concerning partridgewood. Frodo (the hobbithouse guy, who's name I forget) says that panga panga is partridgewood. Some of the pictures on his site look like black sucupira. I think that partridgeood is a name shared by several different woods.

Lou is selling partridgewood, in the individual classifieds. I think there might be some left. Here is a picture of a black sucupira pen, turned by my friend Tim, in California. As you can see, it seems similar to what Lou is selling. It is as hard as nails. Nice chattoyance too.
200582543944_black%20sucupira%20by%20Tim%20Boger.jpg
<br />BTW MDWine,
I was seeding the field, but haven't gotten around to selling the blanks. I liked it, because it made nice unusual gifts and, as you can see, it makes nice pens.

chigdon

I have turned Andira inermis which is a cousin of yours I guess. I think it turned out nice but then I turned a cross cut blank of this same wood and it was very nice. Unfortunately I sold that pen without taking a picture.

I do have a cross cut Partridge Wood pen in my photos that I got from BB but I think it is one of the 'other' Partridge Woods.

BigRob777

Chris,
Is pheasantwood a relative of partridgewood? That is far from being a fowl looking pen. Arrgghhh!! That one even turned my stomach. That pheasantwood pen is really amazing. I love the graining.

I just realized that I usually don't look at the workmanship as much as the wood. I guess my wife is right, I really <b>am</b> a wood junkie.
Rob
PS I wonder what a shell casing pen with a partridgewood top would look like. Nah, that would be a partridge cartridge pen.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by BigRob777
<br />Chris,
Is pheasantwood a relative of partridgewood? That is far from being a fowl looking pen. Arrgghhh!! That one even turned my stomach. That pheasantwood pen is really amazing. I love the graining.

I just realized that I usually don't look at the workmanship as much as the wood. I guess my wife is right, I really <b>am</b> a wood junkie.
Rob
PS I wonder what a shell casing pen with a partridgewood top would look like. Nah, that would be a partridge cartridge pen.

You can't do that. You have to use shotgun shells for pheasantwood and partridgewood. It's a law. [;)][:p][:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom