Ancient Kuari

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodlvr

I just finished trying to turn a pen from the Ancient Kuari that I just received and was wondering if there is a secret to turning this old of wood? The is very little show of any kind of grain to it, and then it pitted so I resharpened my gouge slowed the speed down to 1800 rpm and no difference. The last straw was when I tried to resand a small patch that had a very dull look to it it blew apart right in the middle of the blank. I am hoping that I did something wrong because these were not cheap, as we all know. Any and all advice is very much appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help. Maybe I should just sell my 9 leftovers and relax?[:I]:D[:I]

Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rudy Vey

I guess sharp tools is what you need. Last night I turned my first ancient kauri pen myself, and it came out very well. The wood is pretty soft, and the blank did not show much of figure either. But after turning with a freshly sharpened gouge and ditto skew, and sanding through all MM grades, it shows a very deep chatoyance and some nice swirls and different shades of light to darker brown.
But I also had some blanks that looked like cross-cut wood, and both blank halves had a large amount of chip-out at both entrance and exit of the drill bit (I use a backerboard for the exit) and could not be used.

CaptG

Hi Mike, I tried my first pc. of Kuari last night. This pc. looked like it was crosscut and gave me lots of little tearouts. Not much grain pattern. I ended up sanding a LOT. I mean a whole lot more sanding than I am used to. When I noticed the rough finish with the tearouts, I stopped well before bushing size and started sanding. I went to 80 grit at slow rpm and worked up 120, 180, 320 400, and 600 to get a good smooth finish. That blank that I thought might end up plain Jane now has a stunning iridescent glow that changes as you turn the blank. Now I am trying to get the ca/blo finish to take. Keep getting splotches. This wood is very dry and porous so I have sanded back to bare wood and soaked it with thin ca and let it set all night. Will try to fish it this afternoon.

Woodlvr

Alot of my blanks look like they are crosscut blanks. Thanks for the advise.[:D] I am thinking that I will just sell the rest of my blanks and let it go at that.[:(]

Mike

CaptG

Finished the pen and it really looks good. finally got a blotch free finish. When LOML gets home and guides me thru picture posting on this confuser, I will post picture. Pen looks good in picture, but picture just can not capture the changing glow as the pen moves. I am real pleased with this wood.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Kauri is an amazing wood. It is not easy to turn, as thousands of years underground probably changes the properties of the wood.

Razor sharp tools that just kiss the surface of the blank are a must. Also, finishing more than usual with sandpaper is needed. Consider burnishing the blank with Kauri sawdust from your turning of the blank.

Ancient Kauri is truly a one of a kind wood that we are incredibly fortunate to have an opportunity to use. Always remember that it is not an easy wood like some we work with.

For those who wish to sell their blanks, you likely will have takers.

Woodlvr

William,
Is there a reason why the spots I filled in with the shavings would turn brown? I did burnish the blank with the shaving but being a crosscut blank and not doing more sanding is probably a good cause of my woes. Thanks for the advise.

Mike

ncseeker

I just finished an Emperor with this wood. I found it a harder wood than I expected. I guess I was thinking it would be more like bog oak and pretty soft. This stuff is anything but soft !! I finished it with CA, which it took easily.

imagine

I haven't turned any I bought in the recent group purchase but I turned a bunch back before Christmas. Sharp tools are a must, and soaking in thin CA helps a lot. Great wood.

Rmartin

I've turned at least 50 Kauri blanks and I'm just beginning to understand it. I do feel it's worth the effort, but prepare yourself for aggravation. If anyone wants some blanks, well, order some. The people are very nice and they have a pen blank special which you receive 12 blanks and ten certificates for $55.00. You'll get a mix of light, dark, and burl.

Happy turning
Rmartin

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by Woodlvr
<br />William,
Is there a reason why the spots I filled in with the shavings would turn brown? I did burnish the blank with the shaving but being a crosscut blank and not doing more sanding is probably a good cause of my woes. Thanks for the advise.

Mike

Mike,

One of the first Kauri blanks I turned had a small tear out that I did the same thing on. Yep, it is darker than the rest of the blank. Now, I try to leave the blank <u>very</u> proud of the bushing and sand to final shape. I plan to use either Deft lacquer, Enduro, or Unaxol on the blanks I got through Gerry's group buy. These finishes seem to me to give the least amount of change to the wood.

I have not had the experience of hard Kauri blanks. The ones I have done seemed almost like balsa in their texture. Yes, it is a difficult wood to turn, but the depth of the shine and the amazing history of the wood makes it worthwhile to me.

I hope this helps in some small way.

ncseeker

Originally posted by wdcav1952

I have not had the experience of hard Kauri blanks. The ones I have done seemed almost like balsa in their texture. Yes, it is a difficult wood to turn, but the depth of the shine and the amazing history of the wood makes it worthwhile to me.

That's what I was expecting, just like balsa. Anyway, here's how mine turned out.

200722443455_Ancient%20Kauri.jpg
<br />

Woodlvr

Beautiful job Mike. William thanks for the advice. I will be really careful tonight when I try number two. I will also make sure I do not use a cross cut blank this time.

Mike

joeatact

Just turned a Kauri pen from the buy this is how it turned out. Picked out the piece that looked like it had the best grain and it was darker then the other blanks in the lot I got. Other then a piece coming off at the nib end, due to a defect in the wood and which I was able to fix everything else was on.

#
222_c_ancientkauri.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom