Anchorseal

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

GregMuller

I am having a problem trying to find the stuff. Went into the big orange box and the three associates I asked looked at me like I had three heads. They had never heard of it. And these were not kids. Went into local hardware store and got the same reaction. Does it go under a brand name I don't know about.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Anchorseal is made and sold by UC Coatings https://www.uccoatings.com/
It is often also sold under different names by suppliers who simply rebottle the stuff and mark up the price. Buying at retail in quart or gallon sizes is pretty expensive. If you buy a five gallon bucket the company will pay shipping. I did that, used one gallon for a big tree I cut up, set aside another gallon for future use (it keeps) then sold the other three at my cost to friends in my woodturning club. I saved money over the retail price. I paid about $10.00 a gallon, retail for one gallon is often about $20.00.

GregMuller

Frank,
I don't think I will ever use 5 gallons let alone 1 gallon but thanks for the info. I do not know anyone else in my area who might need the stuff. With 5 kids I barely have time to do my own woodworking much less belong to a club. I need about a quart of the stuff. Was hopeing HD had it but they do not. Can anyone suggest another place to look?

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by GregMuller
<br />Frank,
I don't think I will ever use 5 gallons let alone 1 gallon but thanks for the info. I do not know anyone else in my area who might need the stuff. With 5 kids I barely have time to do my own woodworking much less belong to a club. I need about a quart of the stuff. Was hopeing HD had it but they do not. Can anyone suggest another place to look?

I'm sure UC Coatings will give you the names of retailers in your area or who you can order from.

JimQ

If you go to UC Coatings web site,

https://www.uccoatings.com/AS_Literature.pdf

All the way at the bottom of the second page they give an e-mail address where you can request a free sample. They will send you a quart via UPS. Generally takes about 10 days to get it.

JimQ

KenV

There are alternatives that are easier to obtain --

The Gilmer Wood folks in Portland Oregon use gallons of shellac. They say that is all they use. Old paint works well too. I like latex but have used oil based primer with good effect

Dario

Thanks for the vote of confidence Johnathan LOL.

Anyway I think Greg got all the advise he needed. With the volume he wants/needs, the sample from UCCoatings will be his best bet.

Frank also nailed it about others repackaging this stuff.

Dario

Originally posted by Firefyter-emt
<br />Just curious, would candle wax melted work if you were only doing something small??

YEP!!!

Anything that can retard the drying (so the inner part and outer part have as close moisture content as possible). Paint, oil, wax, lacquer, varnish, etc...will all help. You can also wrap the ends in plastic or several layers of paper if you want. Burying the wood in shavings work too!!

Of course not all choices will give you equal results...but will help.

Firefyter-emt

Great, I brought home a big lilac branch I brought home from my parents house.. My great, great grandmother planted it at the homestead and I wanted to make a pen from the heart wood. I have not had a chance to mill it down, but that is what I have been planning to do to the ends. I have an old enamel coffee pot filled with left over candles. I heat it up, pack sawdust into egg cartons and pour the wax over them for fire starters.. Now where to find sawdust or wood chips?? Anyone have any ideas??

Originally posted by Dario
<br />
Originally posted by Firefyter-emt
<br />Just curious, would candle wax melted work if you were only doing something small??

YEP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom