Americana Snap Cap from CSUSA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Don99

I just finished my first Classic Americana from CSUSA and I am not dazzled by the design of the snap cap. Because it twists on during installation if any one twists the cap of the pen, they may disconnect the snap cap or throw it out of alignment. Should I put a little glue on the snap cap's threads before I install it to keep it in place? What about the twist on Americana that I am reading about. Where can I get those kits?

Thanks in advance for being nice to a forum newbie.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasper

I made a few of those and I agree that the plastic snap cap looks like a problem waiting to happen. The purse pen uses the same type snap cap with a ball point, there are probably others using the same cap.

However, I've been using an olive wood Americana FP for nearly a year, I keep it on my desk and write with it almost every day. So far no problems. I've made and sold several purse pens and I'm not aware of any problem with them either.

I don't think it would be a good idea to glue the cap on to the threaded connector or the inside of the cap. It needs to be adjusted just right to get it the right legnth so it snaps on properly. I stick a screw driver up into the cap and turn it slightly to get it snapping correctly, I couldn't do that if it was glued tight.

Chasper

Well I was thinking of a slow setting glue on the threads. That way I could adjust it and leave it snapped overnight to harden.

Maybe you are on to something there. But I don't think I would leave it snapped together overnight. You might find the nib glued to the snap cap in the morning. With CA if you close up a pen before the adhesive is dry you will get a cloudy white residue over the entire enclosed surfase area. The plastic might also be adhesive resistant like Derlin.

Randy_

I don't know about others; but I have never had a problem with the snap caps changing their fit once they are adjusted. The fit between the threads on the stud and the plastic snap cap is pretty tight and requires some force to adjust. OTOH, the fit of the plastic snap cap on the nib end of the pen is quite loose once the cap is snapped into position and the two parts spin very freely. It is not possible, at least with the kits I have, to change the adjustment of the cap by twisting the pen barrel as if it were a screw on cap.

Given the above, I don't see any need to use glue to fix the position of the plastic cap. The kits I have are PSI kits. Kits from other manufacturers might require different treatment.....even different kits from PSI might require different treatment if the tolerances are sloppy>

Don99

Well I may have over tightened the cap the first time. So I went ahead and put a drop of glue on the threads and adjusted it this morning. I will find out tonight if I screwed it up.

Originally posted by Randy_
[brI don't know about others; but I have never had a problem with the snap caps changing their fit once they are adjusted. The fit between the threads on the stud and the plastic snap cap is pretty tight and requires some force to adjust. OTOH, the fit of the plastic snap cap on the nib end of the pen is quite loose once the cap is snapped into position and the two parts spin very freely. It is not possible, at least with the kits I have, to change the adjustment of the cap by twisting the pen barrel as if it were a screw on cap.

I don't like the looseness of the plastic snap caps either but I've been able to minimize the spinny cap by fine adjustments of the snap insert to hold the pen as tight to the cap as possible without having it pop off.

Top Bottom