Americana pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elody21

I have been making pens for many years Lately I was trying to use up a lot of older sets. I have been working on American flat top pens and seem to be having some trouble. The ink refills don't seem fit in the pen. They are too tight. I tried using sandpaper on the edges and they finally fit. Then when I put the transmission on the end and press it into the top it is too big!

Being too big is not a result of the sanding, remember after the refill goes in the bottom the transmission is then screwed onto the bottom insert.

I can't seem to win. Any ideas? I am to the point where I feel like just tossing them! should I try to get new transmissions,new refills, or just toss them?!
Alice

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
american pen

I turn a lot of these. I don't quite understand whaat you are saying, If I understand the problem is the mandrel may be bent I always turn the peices one at a time. and stay well in the size of the bushing, a lot of the refills are a bit oversized and I find if I can clean out the adapter that the transmission screws on with emory cloth that takes care of the problem hope that I have helped. I would be willing to swap some blanks for the kits, let me know?

elody21

Thanks for your help,
I thought about the problem and I think it is several things. First I have been using a 8mm drill bit and having trouble with the blank cracking. Maybe if I use a 21/64 it would give the tube more of a chance to expand.
I did not mentions that problem before.
I think the next problem I am having comes from the fact that I am using replacement tubes for 8mm American flat tops. The pens I am turning were ones I took apart because of some other problem in the past. There must be a small difference of the OD and ID with these tubes. I am thinking that the 8mm tubes are not quite the same size and maybe causing the problem with the refills being too big to fit into the bottom. I quess that could also cause the issue of the transmissions being too small when I put the top on. The sets I have are from several different makers and I just assumed they would be interchangeable. I think I am going to put these away for now and work on something else. Maybe I will try to get replacement tubes that go with each of the brands and see if that makes a difference. I noticed that the transmissions are very different too. Maybe I will box them all up and siend them to you for you to figure out!
Thanks Alice

its_virgil

Alice,
I don't quite understand when you say the refill will not fit. The kit is the flat top ballpoint, right...the twist one?But there are a couple of things this pen kit is very sensitive to. One is the lengths of the completed blanks...or barrels..both the top and the bottom. Care must be taken when squaring the blanks that the tubes are not shortened. Tube length is very critical.

Another problem is the top barrel...the cap barrel. The transmission is not activated by a friction fit with the top tube but with the clip finial mechanism. The transmission must pass through the upper barrel without any restriction. Drop it into one end and it should slip through very nicely with no restriction. Any glue in the tube will cause the transmission to bind and not pass through the tube. Be sure the tube is completely free of glue.

Also, when pressing on the centerband it is possible to collapse the end of the tube enough to not allow the transmission to pass through. If so, the end of the tube inside the CB must be expanded. Using a punch or drill bit will do the job. I don;t recall which drill bit to use but you can experiment and find the one that just fits inside the tube or use one of the Harbor Freight punches.

Good luck and I hope you get your problems with this kit resolved.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Top Bottom