Americana Click Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Seer

Well I just finished my first American Click Pen and just maybe my last even though I have 3 kits left. I did imho a very nice job of turning and finishing and keeping the lengths where they should be but it sticks sometims other times not and then after all this the click mechanism came loose from the body and I had to screw it back in. A drop of thick CA will keep it threaded in but the things will still stick. One of the reasons is there is too much play between the click housing and the upper barrel allowing it to jam when it is pushed and I cannot figure hpow to fix it. The lower barrel is turned straight as it should be. Probably going to be an office pen till I figure it out. The kit is from Rockler as is one of the others and 2 are Gold TI from woodcraft I got on clearance for $5.00 each and there is a difference the woodcraft is a tad bit shorter but the bushings are the same size just a little different instructions.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

That's interesting because Rockler and Woodcraft both sell Berea kits. But, I think they both do their own instructions. That kit has had bad raps for a few years now...it was one of the first click pens if I remember correctly...the one where the entire upper barrel moves up and down to operate the clicker? I also think there is a newer version and the ones you bought on clearance may have been the older design...just guessing at that, though. I could be totally off base on this.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Well The kit is from Rockler as is one of the others and 2 are Gold TI from woodcraft I got on clearance for $5.00 each and there is a difference the woodcraft is a tad bit shorter but the bushings are the same size just a little different instructions.

I make a lot of american classic pens, but not the clicks for that reason. They are junk. Now if like Don says there is a new version I might try it again, but my experience has not been good with the clicks.

glwalker

I've made a few PSI Polaris click pens. They are "O.K.", but I can get a pen from my local bank that will click repeatedly smoother. I think for a custom pen the click operation should be flawless and feel better than typical "bank" pens.

rjwolfe3

I don't know Dale I think the Long Clicks or Clickers have the best mechanisms in them. I have never tried the Americana but I have tried several styles from PSI and didn't like any of them. I love clicks and wish there were more available that were dependable.

Seer

Here are the differences between the 2 kits one is a Rockler Flat Top American Click and the other is a Classic American Ball point click and they look identical until you measure everything.
Rockler Woodcraft
Upper Barrel 2-3/16" 2-1/8"
Lower Barrel 1-11/16" 1-13/16"
Click Mech 2-9/32" 2-3/16"
All other parts are the same size on the click mechanism the large plastic barrel that the lower barrel screws into is also shorter than the Rockler one. The instructions for both kits are pretty much identical except for the blank lengths., go figure. I guess I will try the woodcraft one maybe it is a better design, the rockler is going back see if I can get the twist style instead.

its_virgil

Top Bottom