American Wormy chestnut questions.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodscavenger

While I was finalizing the sale on a beautiful desert ironwood chrome cigar kit:D the guys business partner started looking at my pens. He asked how big a piece of wood was needed to make a pen. He then proceeded to ask if I had any intest in some American Wormy Chestnut. [?] I have heard of this, know that it is hard to get, and I think I have seen a few rough pieces occasionally. He said his grandparents house was built from the stuff but his father dismantled the house to rebuild and has stacks of the stuff in his lot. He offered to bring some to me and I offered him a pen made from it in trade.
How does this wood turn? Has anybody used it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

I have a pen made from it in my photo gallery. I didn't fill the holes to allow a little more of the "character". With a light touch it turned fine.

J. Fred Muggs

I've turned wormy chestnut bowls and it is beautiful wood. Unfortunately, a blight took out almost all the trees years ago. That's what makes it so good now - they ain't making any more of it!

I agree with Tip, I'd leave the holes unfilled. I've done this with pecky cypress and ambrosia maple. If you do fill them, Stick-Fast Ca makes a black colored CA flexible glue that I have used to fill cracks and holes. It works great and saves the hassle of mixing sawdust or colorants.

woodscavenger

Thanks for the advice. I have dome a couple of ambrosia maple bowls and love to leave the holes wide open. I imagine the same with the pens if this deal happens.

Darley

I don't know this type of wood , but I know tha tif is natural leave the hole it give some caractere to the wood, I do the same with my Banksia nut ( pod ) I leave the hole naturel.

Serge

Doghouse

wormy%20chestnut%20cigar.jpg

this was done in wormy chestnut. If you are wondering ablut the look. I filled the holes in with ca on this one, the next I used ebony power (slurry) to fill the holes. I am thinking I may use truestone on the next one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom