American Twist problem ...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Willee

I have had a problem with the American Classic Twist pen from time to time.
When assembled the transmission brass part would drag on the cap tube making it hard to operate.
I have fixed this by first checking that the brass part of the transmission turns freely in the cap tube at the center band.
If not I place the transmission in the lathe and sand the brass until it fits the tube cleanly.

Willee

lazyguy

I found that reaming the inside bottom of the upper tube with a round file does the job.
That doesnt make any sense, does it?

its_virgil

The transmission must freely slide through the upper tube with no restriction. Drop it into the tube at the top and it should fall through and land on the table top. If not, the tube must be enlarged. Usually the problem is glue or the CB end is slightly crushed when parting off for the CB.

The transmission is not activated by a friction fit with the tube but by a mechanical link with the clip finial assembly.

This kit is also very very sensitive to tube lengths...both upper and lower.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
I do a lot of classic americans. I run across this and if you will pull the top out far enough past the lower barrel coupler and see if it free's up if so the pen was turned with a mandrel that is slightly bent causing the lower barrell to be slightly out of round. I have found this to happen with the psi kit that does not use the type of transmission that is pressed onto the cap as stated by virgil above

Top Bottom