Ambonya Burl?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nightowl

Does anyone have a good idea where I can find some Ambonya burl? I would like to have blank 7/8x7/8x5+. I have been asked by my minister to make a pen for his son who is finishing his masters degree. He has picked this specifically. I would like to get a piece with no sap wood. I have looked at some of the normal places, Woodcraft, Pen State, etc.
The blanks are really expensive plus the shipping is outrageous. If anyone has any great blanks laying around they want to sell, please let me know. I have to have it made by the end of this month. I am also looking for a wooden box for it. The kit is going to be an Ultimate Cigar so it will need to be a large box. Thanks for your help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

babyblues

Lou knows what he's talking about. Nolan and/or Wolfdancer have amboyna burl that is second to none at a price that's gonna be impossible to beat. That's the truth.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Nolan has amazing wood - he'd be my first choice! He's a form member too, so just PM him through the forum.

Andrew

Oh, and Don - looked at that site you recommended, and it looks very clear that the pictures have been touched up to look more vibrant...that makes me very leery about the product - I'm sure it wouldn't look like that when you open the package!

Don_Hart

I don't know about that. As I said I purchased quite a bit from them when they were selling on ebay. The pictures they have on the site look very similar to the stuff I bought from them. Now they do seal the pieces and that makes the colors and grain stand out much as the wood will look when finished.

BruceA

Amboyna burl source - Spa City Woodworks

Another possible source is Dwain Coates at SpaCityWoodworks.com for Amboyna Burl and other exotic blanks. He's on eBay, as well as having his own site. I've bought a bunch of items from him over the last 15 months, and he's been great to work with. He has stabilizing service available, too.

He has 3/4x3/4x5" on sale for $3.00 right now, and might be able to help you quickly with 7/8".

Bruce in TN.

SherryD

I have over 500 amboyna blanks,high figure, and two tone as well for $5.00 Send PM if interested. While I have not sold any quantities before in the classified, I will put the quality with any on the market. I do plan to introduce these along with other woods in the future. I have import source that is steady and has large quantities. If you need references, send PM and I will give you names of others here that know of this secret stash.

Top Bottom